SD1 Shangeri-la RAW Pack 4

Download SD1 RAW Pack nr 4 255MB
You need Sigma Photo Pro 5 (or any other SD1 compatible aw converter).

The above shots all have a huge dynamic range (perhaps not the water shot) for you to play with – and in order to achieve good results you will have to either use X3 Fill light a lot – or save the image two or three times with different exposures and make a “fake HDR” in PS or whatever software you fancy. You can also dodge and burn if you save as 16bit tiff.

As I’m on the road and I do think above shots has been problematic – but interesting –  I’d LOVE to see what you guys can do! Anyone up for the task with any of these shots?

This entry was posted in 18-50, Full size, Portraits, RAW, Sigma SD1 and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to SD1 Shangeri-la RAW Pack 4

1. Stefan says:

Thanks again for these Carl… ok – I’ll bite ;-)

For my attempt I was not so concerned with the drama in the sky, for me it’s a tiny bit too much, and I went a bit brighter. Exposure -0.6 instead of -1.5 so slight burnout but not too much, with a bit less contrast and fill light, colour warmer at 6C+8Y. Tweaked the red hue and saturation a bit in PS then mild selective sharpening with Topaz InFocus. Do I see some green and magenta chroma noise in places… (I think that’s what it is anyway, similar to what I see sometimes with my DP1s) eg. in the woman’s grey top?

For sharpening software you could try the trial version of Infocus http://www.topazlabs.com/infocus/ , it seems pretty good to me.
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/SDIM4498_T4.jpg[/img]

2. Matthias says:

My try…

Fullsize available, on request :)
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/SDIM4396.jpg[/img]

3. carl says:

Looks great Matthias on my iphone!! :) much better than the embedded jpeg! ;)

4. Pingback: Sigma SD1 RAWs for your pleasure on X3 magazine

5. William says:

Quote: ” I’d LOVE to see what you guys can do! ”

Yes. that’s the situation Sigma has created now.
    We have one person with this camera who delivers the images and the rest of the community can play with it.
    Most if not all of us are following this blog because we wanted a SD1 so we could have fun with our own images.

Nice show Sigma.

• Ricky says:

I’m following this blog from 2009 to learn from a great photographer, I waited the SD1 only because I want to see what Carl Rytterfalk do with that (I can’t ever imagine a camera better to me than my DP2, at any price :D)

• Dennis says:

My thoughts too!

I hope Carl gets back to using the DP’s before long, much easier to travel with rather than lugging the SD1 around :-)

• haha, well, I’ll use my DP’s when it’s time. They’re unbeatable in terms of size and also it’s lenses! I wish I had something similar for the SD1 sensor.. :)

I’m now writing this from the famous fake Apple Store in Kunming – it looks like a real one, they have blue t-shirts and everything but it’s fake.

• LionelB says:

There were five stores in Kunming but they closed two. Maybe the stores will become as popular as the Russian gold-plated fake Leicas ?

6. LionelB says:

Now they found a fake IKEA in Kunming. Not so bad if you can pay with fake money :-)

7. wisitwon says:

I found the great dynamic range in your pictures especially in the picture of women holding an umbrella. Did you use a special technique or adjust on your camera software ? Or because of an unique foveon sensor characteristic?

• Dan says:

It is a very nice composition indeed.
      My guess is that Carl exposed on the darker areas in the foreground such as Lin’s hair and reduced the background exposure a bit perhaps by half an EV step. This can be set directly in the camera prior to taking the shot, but also in raw development if you don’t get the settings just right.