Coming soon.. Two mighty raw packs..

SD1 "exposures" Raw pack 2
Mostly long exposures at night, indoors in mixed light and one really sharp shot from early morning in sunlight.

SD1 "life" Raw pack 3
Some shots from yesterday and the day before – Some story telling images that might be quite interesting to look closer at.

I’m currently at a very bad internet connection and later tonight I will be in Dali (I’m in Kunming right now) and in Dali I hope to have a faster connection so that the above RAW Packs can be uploaded. They’re about 500MB together.

They’re worth the wait! :)

This entry was posted in All. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Coming soon.. Two mighty raw packs..

1. Norman says:

Welcome to China! Looking forward to the new mighty raw packs!

• Carl Rytterfalk says:

Hi Norman! Thanks! I might add that the internet connection that I’m on right now is superslow (36kb/s) and that it feels unstable – i just had to restart my RAW packs, everything on the current machine (PC, Vista) is in Chinese and I’m unable to connect my MacBook Pro due to some strange restrictions – and I didn’t know which button said “resume” – I likely hit the wrong one. :(

Anyways. I found out some new cool things about SPP5 and how it handles RAW files. Minus 2.0 sharpness gives a much better result than anything else. It also cancels some noise and lets you get away with lowest settings on both noise options without much sacrifice. (quite the opposite). The old foveon feeling at 100% is much more clear without any added sharpness. (or whatever -2.0 could be called because nothing becomes soft)

Anyways. It’s late night here now and I’m off to bed. Hopefully this upload is done by tomorrow morning.

• Person says:

I thought I was the only one who thought this! I’m DEFINITELY feeling that -2.0 sharpness is the best for that foveon magic.

If your shot isn’t perfectly in focus, -2.0 won’t look hot. But if it is, then it’s the best setting by far.

Best feel, lowest noise. If you do want some sharpening, I find I can do it better in photoshop where there is a lot more control over the process.

I feel like SPP’s sharpening method is optimal only for the old sensor! Why don’t you write a post about this Carl?

• LionelB says:

But sharpness in SPP only goes down to -1.0 ? Is there a way to extend the scale or do you apply and save -1.0 twice ?

• LionelB says:

Maybe iCab browser set to emulate PC Internet Explorer will get your MacBook able to view web ?

2. michaeli says:

right here waiting… :)

3. Person says:

Nice.

I think -2.0 is best for a super sharp tripod shot. Has to be critically sharp subject, moreso than old foveon because of resolution.

Sometimes I like -1.6, and -1.2 only in emergency. Less is more. Other than that, photoshop is your friend I think.

4. Person says:

Question:

Did you use a tripod in the bridge shot, and/or did you use OS?

5. Mark Alan Thomas says:

I can’t believe this sharpness thing is still an issue. Why won’t Sigma just TELL us what the zero sharpening setting is?

• Person says:

It’s obvious that -2.0 is zero sharpness. Try it for yourself and observe at 200% size if necessary.

• Person says:

P.S. that bridge shot is OUTRAGEOUS! Wow.

Do you have the 17-50 with you as well?

• Mark Alan Thomas says:

For the SD1, yeah — zero sharpness seems to be −2. But who really knows? I throw one of my DP1 files in there and suddenly −2 means “blurry.” Lame.