Lightning and watched.. SD1 RAW file..

watching me
SDIM1515 – X3F Zipfile Or just have a look at the large JPEG (Med 3264 x 2176). ISO200. 18-50.
Just an everyday photo from where I am right now, Kunming. It’s truly nice to be here again, this was my home for four years and it really feels good to be back again even it’s for a short while. Now I just need to dust off that Chinese of mine.. :)

Oh, and we had this HUGE thunderstorm yesterday night and I tried to get some lightning shots – but.. I didn’t get many good ones. I got one which was handheld for 10s. ;) (leaning to my window). I didn’t bring much extras such as tripods etc with me – I think I’ll get one of those Gorillapods though.

The one that I got locked crazy over exposed at ISO100 and I thought that it was truly a trash shot (knowing the limitations of low ISO highlight) but after stopping it down to ISO25 and the lightning is as clear as day! Though with some strange artifacts.

lightening
Before exposure compensation in SPP (embedded JPEG)

iso25
After, at about -2 exposure compensation and ISO should be around 25 at this moment. But it’s also a bit tricky as the lightning itself gives the sensor a tough time. I’d like to see a proper exposed lightning done before judging too much from above shot. :)

Oh, and I don’t have any photoshop on my macbook so every post editing is done in iPhoto.

This entry was posted in 18-50, Full size, ISO50, RAW, Sigma Photo Pro, Sigma SD1. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Lightning and watched.. SD1 RAW file..

1. Person says:

Love the film-like colors on the bus shot!

2. Toby says:

Very nice Carl!

BTW: There is a new FW available, maybe you haven’t notice it before.

3. rosse says:

hello carl,

thanks for sharing your SD1 experiments. Did you also try the VPS / Binning on your SD1? I’d love to see how it affects Dynamic Range and Signal-to-noise ratio.

4. Bill says:

Cool! you catch it,but maybe with a tripod is better :)

• Carl Rytterfalk says:

Hi Bill, yeah, tripod is better but not very travel kind. :) And it’s sometimes hard to find a good spot for it, a gorilla type of thing will likely be more friendly to the strange places I’m going.

Btw, thanks for taking care of us in Shanghai!

5. Fabricio says:

Hello Carl,

Hope you’re enjoying your trip to China and have a great time.

So far, you haven’t said a word, unless i’m mistaken, about the feeling of holding the camera in hand. As the SD1 has a new body design, could you tell us your comments about the ergonomics of the camera? And about the lack of an LCD display on top of the camera?

All the best.

• Carl Rytterfalk says:

Hi Fabracio,

Sorry about that! It’s been lots to do since I got the camera. The grip of the camera is much improved, it’s very comfortable to hold and I think anyone who tries it would agree. The build quality is good, overall better than any older Sigma SLR but I don’t feel it’s built as a $9600 camera. I would like much more rubber and stuff for that price. :)

The lack of top LCD was annoying in the beginning but after getting used to look in the viewfinder when changing shutter, aperture, ISO etc – it’s also the place where you see how many pictures in left on card and in buffer, it’s a very useful amount of info and very responsive.

I’m now standing in a “Apple Store” in Kunming – it looks the same, they have the same type of tables, clothes (blue t-shirts with apple logo) but I’m sure it’s fake. :D

I’ll get back with more info..

6. Dan says:

Carl,
    On the above shots why do you think the sky looks so purple? Does it need a special white balance or was it really like that?
    Cheers,
    Dan

• Person says:

From dp forum, about SD1 default processing in SPP:

Is it just me, or does SPP apply sharpening first, and THEN noise reduction…

…and would the result be better the other way around?

I’m thinking yes, and that this is the reason the default settings look surprisingly sucky. Or am I way off base here?

• Hi Person, you might be right! It kind of look off and you need to really go low with sharpening to make it look calm – like -1.3..

• Person says:

Yes, I think -1.2 is the equivalent of zero in SPP 4.2!

This makes sense, because If zero sharpening in SPP 4.2 is -0.8 and zero sharpening in SPP5.0 is -2.0, then this works out nicely as an equivalent default.

7. Carl, I really wished I could take the SD1 out on an extensive storm chase to see what it can do.

Exposing for lightning is not that easy since it is hard to predict predict how strong and how far away the next lightning is going to be. F/2.8 unfortunately was way to wide for this for this particular strike.

I found that for lightning anticipated to be a bit stronger and close, usually F/4 or F/5.6 at ISO 100 works best, and if it is very strong lightning you can stop it down even more.

It would be interesting to find out what the shutter lag of the SD1 – building a lightning trigger would be really cool!

Have a great time in China!