SD1 teaser post..

SD1 shots

Folks! I’m truly sorry that my SD1 test and RAW pack hasn’t been posted yet but there are two pretty good reasons for that. The first being that my SD1 arrived to me very very late, the second that I’m now an Apple employee and my new job (which I will not go into details about) takes lots of my time. And there is another, extra reason and that’s that tomorrow I’m off to China for a month in Dali (Yunnan province) and I DO bring the SD1. So if you’re Chinese and want to meet, please send me an email.

The wedding last saturday hasn’t been developed yet, my computer is way to slow and It’s really really frustrating waiting for each shot to develop. (especially when you don’t really have the time to wait). I’m going to upgrade my computer when back in Sweden. I do bring my MacBook pro 13″ to China and I’m hoping for some time to bring more shots to my site – especially RAW. I know I have a few from that wedding that I will give you as RAW.

I’ll show you some shots now, all taken using the pre SD1 that I had, I’m not allowed to show any full sized shots but I added some crops as well.. All developed using SPP5 and some Lightroom post..

Enjoy

SD1 shots SD1 shots - crop

SD1 shots SD1 shots - crop

SD1 shots SD1 shots - crop

SD1 shots SD1 shots - crop

SD1 shots SD1 shots - crop

SD1 shots SD1 shots - crop

Now, these images was originally used for a keynote presentation I had about the SD1 and those crops has been up-sized by Lightroom to fit projector size – so please bare that they’re not perfectly sharp.. But still I think You get a feeling for what the SD1 can do.

I’ll be back!

This entry was posted in Sigma SD1. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to SD1 teaser post..

1. Person says:

Thanks for the pics, looks very decent and in a different league than what Sigma posted on their website.
    Hopefully you’re getting a discount at Apple ; )

2. Dennis says:

Hi Carl.

Wonderful news, congratulations. I hope your career with Apple is very successful. You have a wonderful feeling for photography, colour, and design so if Apple involves you with Aperture and iPhoto I have a feeling we’ll all be seeing the benefit before too long.

Maybe you can persuade that nice Mr Jobs to buy up Foveon for his future cameras :-)

Safe travels.

3. James says:

Congratulations on the new job Carl, I hope that you have a great time with Apple.

I look forward to seeing your processed images later.

4. michaeli says:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for sharing these beautiful shots! Looking forward to your thorough SD1 review.

Will you come to Beijing when you visit China? If so I will buy you a beer. :)

• Hi Michaeli,

The 31st of July we will arrive in Beijing very late and stay until the next day – our plane leaves for Helsinki at 14:25 so we will have plenty of time to catch that beer! :) Let’s stay in touch.

5. Peter says:

Carl, congratulations. I hope your career move is a great success (I’m sure it will be).
    I look forward to seeing more SD! shots in due course.
    Enjoy your trip to China.

6. Jim Kofron says:

Carl,

I hope your job at Apple includes expanding the OS X code base to interpret x3f raw!!! If you’re in the iOS manufacturing side of things, let me know via email—I’ve got a friend who manages some of the manufacturing for phones and iPads for them…

Nice photos, too!

7. Al Carlay says:

master of disaster.. just beautiful!

8. Person says:

These ROCK.

What are your thoughts on the SD1 color-space bug in SPP?

There’s a thread on it on dpreview.

9. Kendall says:

Congratulations on working for Apple! That must be pretty interesting… I look forward to seeing your SD-1 work from China.

10. Richard says:

Carl,

Nice images. What lenses were used?

Rich

11. odyseuss says:

Carl,
    Thanks for these great shots. I’m totally blown away by the fine details and nice color renditions of these photos.
    Have a good trip in China!

12. stevielee says:

As usual, great images posted by you here.

I do have a couple of questions/comments: It appears that several of the shot are exhibiting the infamous “magenta” color-cast – especially the first 5, and then the one of the bird in water. Is that just what the natural color pallet was at the time the shots were taken, or does it have something to do with how it was converted, and/or PP?

Also, as a computer tech myself (mainly specializing in Apple), I’m always surprised when high-level photographers like yourself use equipment that is either outdated, slow, or not powerful enough for the task at hand. But many of these same professionals have state-of-the-art photographic equipment, and travel extensively at a cost that’s many times more that a newer, more powerful computer would. Specializing in technical foundation work-flow set-ups for my clients, I always try and stress the need to initially address and acquire the very best computers possible – with fast, and redundantly adequate back-up storage options as well.
    A 13″ Macbook Pro (even the new SB model) is really going to struggle with downloading and processing (especially batch processing) the kinds of large file sizes that you get from cameras like the SD1.

Maybe that’s just your mobile equipment option and you do have a more capable desktop computer at home, or in your studio that would be more up to the tasks that you seem to need/require for your obviously prolific photographic output?

Also, if you’d like to get a bit more perfomance out of your 13″ MacBook Pro, you might try and replace the stock HD with a small, but 10x faster SSD drive that can handle voluminous image files much more efficiently.

Regardless, Keep up the great work you are doing here and I do hope that you enjoy your upcoming trip to China. I’ve no doubt that you will end-up with amazing and memorable images.

If you are ever in the SF Bay area, give me a shout at the included email address and I would be most happy to take you on one of my photographic hikes through our very scenic city , and also provide you with useful insider tips on where to eat, shop and visit.

Cheers!

• Person says:

This is the color space bug mentioned above.

It has nothing to do with the raw data, the SD1 actually has excellent automatic white balance and is practically free from color casts!

13. Fabricio says:

The duck is very beautiful. Do you know what species it is?

All the pictures seems pretty sharp, but there is no information on the lens used. Could you tell us more?

All the best at Apple. I support the suggestion to Mr Jobs: Apple should buy Foveon (and why not Sigma at the same time). Thus it would offer to the customers an integrated system: from the sensor to the lens, the camera, the software and the computer. And improve it along the way.

14. Jim Roelofs says:

Apple ermployee, eh Carl? Wow, congratulations on this big event in your life!

OK, Mr Rytterfalk, here’s the real deal. Tell Steve he MUST listen to OUR demand for x3f compatibility in OSX, (and do something about it) pronto! ;)

You can talk to Steve now, right?

15. LionelB says:

Warm congratulations Carl on securing your future. I hope they understand not just that you *do* photography but that you *are* a photographer. Wonderful photos, as ever.

16. Andre says:

Stunning pictures, wonderful color and great detail as always, Carl. You really have the eye, and use the Force :-)

If you ever come to the Philippines, Carl, that’s just a plane hop away. We have some pretty stunning scenery here in Asia/Pacific, very suited for the Foveon I imagine. You’ll love it!

17. Pingback: SD1 And Gilden In Haiti | Fotography

18. Josh says:

Wow, Carl had to take a full time job with Apple to afford the SD1. :D

19. Pingback: Sigma sd1

20. D~C says:

Wow! The SD1 . . . you are a very lucky man. :-)

If you are coming to Los Angeles, I would love to meet up and check out the camera!

Best of luck, and congratulations on your new job!

21. Kinda late on posting this, but heartfelt congratulations on the Apple job! I’m loving your photos from the SD1 (as well as the shots from Olga V & BobNL) Looking forward to seeing the China pix. Safe trip to you and Lynn!