Back!

I’ve been on a trip to London for a week and now I’m digging deep into the flow of comments made and the SD1 that was about to enter my hands last week was – not sent – but is now. So in this coming weekend I have my first wedding using the SD1 which will truly be interesting. Anyways, some of you have had your comments blocked by my system but I released them now so they’re out there again. Sorry about that.

This entry was posted in All. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Back!

1. William says:

“the SD1 that was about to enter my hands last week was – not sent – but is now”

Strange how these words now make me sad, instead of the happiness I anticipated only a short while ago. The SD1 will never be in my hands. But even empty handed I will look forward to your SD1 story.
    And even more to your interview with Mr. Yamaki. The man responsible for so many disappointed wannabe SD1 users. Maybe you can find out what nobody else can: why is Sigma asking this price for the SD1.

• William, please feel free to come here and try mine out. It’s sad that not more people will be able to use it, I’m really sorry about this. I don’t plan to have an interview with Mr. Yamaki, but if that happens then I’ll put it somewhere around here. :)

2. William says:

Carl,
    Thanks for the offer. But it’s better if I don’t.
    I’m afraid you would never get the SD1 out of my hands again without some brutal force ;-)

3. Matthias says:

Good to see you alive :)

When you release some SD1 RAWs, please note that SPP5 crashes with SD1 files when using German or some other European date/time/number format settings on Windows.

Temporary fix for those users: Switch Windows to use U.K. number format.

I already posted this on dpreview and it helped some people.
    It is an old bug in SPP. Easy to fix, but Sigma does not listen…

You know that already :)

Have fun with SD ONE.

4. Robin says:

Wrong timing, Carl (at least from my point of view): Have been to London one month ago. Last day even a swedish couple shared the room with us. ^^ Well, next time … ;)

5. Florian says:

did Sigma lend you a SD1 ? Wow this is great ! please post some very samples soon if you can ;)

6. odyseuss says:

Carl,
    I’m not a frequent visitor of your blog. But your photos have inspired me a lot. Looking forward to your SD1 review.

7. Jim Roelofs says:

Well, dear Carl, from memory your reports are always insightful and un-biased. This means that I await your results with much eagerness and anticipation.

Just have a little extra consideration before lodging the results as I simply go to pieces when I see myself crying in the reflection of my iMac about something I suspect I dearly need.

8. Emaad says:

So the price tag is final or sigma is going to lend you SD1. If the price tag is final than its a very sad thing.

9. michaeli says:

Looking forward to your SD1 review! Can’t wait.

10. Alberto says:

Hi Carl, what about that wedding?

I hope you are fine

11. person says:

So … ? Any shots to share?

12. Dennis says:

I’ve been checking for comments every few hours and started to despair that nothing is coming back from Carl about our disappointment with Sigma over the SD1 pricing announcement. But then again, what can he say that hasn’t already been said?

Then I reflected on what Carl said in an earlier post, “this is not a forum, it’s a place to help and learn from each other” so let me ask for some help please …

I won’t now be buying a Sigma DSLR but do want to buy one of the DP2 models to supplement my DP1s.

I’m faced with the following choice here in the UK, the best DP2 prices I can find are currently:

DP2 £299
    DP2s £399
    DP2x £449

What do you see as the best buy? Or does anyone know of any better pricing or do you think the price will tumble in the next month or two? Is it better to have the dynamic range of the DP2 or the AFE of the DP2x???

Thanks in advance for your for your thoughts …

• Toby says:

Hey Dennis, as you already said, this place is not a forum, so i think these very special questions should be asked somewhere else. Anyway, you should try to search a person you trust from germany who can buy you a DP2s from german ebay (around 280€ new) and will ship it to you. Thats aktually the cheapest way to get one.

• William says:

There is a person on Ebay.de called “limal-sigma” auctioning Sigma camera’s. With a bit of luck you could get a new DP2x for a really nice price (around €250 or even less)
        But he is not shipping outside Germany. So indeed we need a german in-between.

13. person says:

We should just let Carl know that people are quite desperadorately waiting to lay their hands on some SD1 Raw files.