Product photography in rain..

Rainy day in may
Original

Rainy day in may
Original

What do you do when you have set day to shoot, and that day turns out to be very dark and rainy? You could reschedule or.. use your SD14 and the Sigma 120-300 OS for every single shot. Why SD14 when I have SD15? Well, it wouldn’t be as much fun now, would it? No. :) And it was tricky to get colors the way i like them – and these are more or less straight out from SPP5 beta.

Rainy day in may
Original

The 120-300 OS is such nice lens to work with – I had a monopod and nothing more. I wasn’t afraid of the rain as I know the SD14 can take quite some – and the 120-300 OS is weather sealed so the combo should work fine and as you see in these shots – even if it was raining it wasn’t like cats and dogs.

Rainy day in may
Original

Rainy day in may
Original

I tried to keep a nice distance between me and my objects – Above shot is taken using the full 300mm – they’re all electric bikes so I thought it was a bit fun to shoot with the old gas thingi in the background. Sort of fit the retro look of those bikes as well.

Rainy day in may
Original

Rainy day in may
Original

There was some foldable bike that I had to shoot – I used my little brother as my model, he’s very proud of his work. :) I might also add that the bluish / magenta tint that’s slightly over each shot is more or less a side effect of bad light and sd14. SD14 has a strong tendency towards green and well, I could have fought back using flash and more light which normally solves the issue but this time I didn’t wanna risk them due to the weather. So bare the slight tint – and try to look beyond.

Rainy day in may
Original

Rainy day in may
Original

Rainy day in may
Original

So, these are all taken using the old SD14, using it’s 4.6MP capability. Please have a look at those full sized versions to fully appreciate the quality.

Rainy day in may
Original

This entry was posted in 120-300, Full size, Portraits, Sigma Photo Pro, Sigma SD14. Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Product photography in rain..

1. Person says:

Does SPP5 behave differently than SPP4.2 when it comes to color output? I’m very curious- I hope we don’t lose the film-like colors.

2. Scott Greiff says:

Nice set as usual.

Does the SD14 save you from highlight issues? Does SPP5 help with those on the SD15?

• Main reason for selecting the SD14 was highlights – I had the D15 with me as well as a backup and I planned to use both – but didn’t. I don’t know if there is any visible difference in how SPP4 vs 5 renders an image. Will get back to this when the final version is out.

3. Pingback: Spp 5.0 - Sigma - Bilderforum.de

4. unusual set up. good idea

5. Tom Schum says:

If there is an overall color cast, it feels like a tech-eco color cast, well-suited to the subject matter. I especially like the horse and rider in the background on one of the shots. Skip cars entirely.

• Ah, thanks. :) They came out slightly dark I think – I developed them late last night and in a dark room, now watching in a bright room it looks slightly different – might redevelop one or two. :) Tech-eco. Nice word.

6. Mike Earussi says:

Carl, I’ve been wondering about the highlight difference between the SD14 and SD15 but I’ve yet to see any solid info about it. Have you done any direct comparisons or have any idea how much of a highlight loss there is in the SD15?

• Carl Rytterfalk says:

Mike, I have done tests using the same exposure on a sunny day – using the “neutral” color mode on SD15 comparing it to the SD14 – and SD14 had about one stop of extra highlight. Hard to really know if it was one stop, but a pretty strong visible difference. Now, SD15 images on the other hand had a more correct color – a cleaner look and much less greeniness especially in grey areas. So if it had slightly less highlight it did provide a better shadow quality.

I have my test images somewhere but I think I should remake and post. As so many other things on my “to do” list. :)

7. marc says:

I like the rainy atmosphere, soft light … a nice natural fresh and green ambience … somewhat nicer than a sunny day which is somewhat more stereotypical.

We once did this one for Wrangler with photog. Vava Ribeiro, it was supposed to be a roadmovie summer kind of thing … but the whole day it was just pouring down like crazy, shit happens ; ) Sorry could only find theses images (and weird selection too) it’s a old job from 2004.

8. Mike Earussi says:

Thanks for the information, Carl. That’s about what I thought from seeing some of the posted images. Unfortunately, that one stop loss would really hurt me as I’m constantly fighting with the SD14’s DR now. If it wasn’t for that the improved color and handling of the SD15 would be really tempting as an upgrade instead of the overpriced SD1. Looking foward to your tests. Thanks

• Carl Rytterfalk says:

If you struggle with the SD14 then I think the only way to go would be film or SD1 as both has pretty wide DR (same or better DR). The SD14 is likely the king of highlights of all current DSLRs – not sure about the SD1 which might be able to beat it.

• Alberto says:

Nice to know Carl,

When i tried SD14 i liked DR very much

if DR and noise are great with SD1 those will be an extra selling point ;-)

9. Andre says:

Great pictures, as usual, Carl. Really nice and, as always, with that lovely Foveon “feel” to it.

10. Mike Earussi says:

So you’re saying the SD1 has better DR than the SD15. That’s good to know, which means I’ll probably pick one up when the price drops to a more realistic level.

11. I agree with Carl shooting with it on Cloudy Days is alway a delight because it renders so much detail in the clouds that just blow out on other cameras.
    As far a squelching the green cast I have found when shooting daylight WB and 1Y4M on the color selector in SPP4.2. all I need to do after that is open the jpeg up in PS and set the green midtone level to .95 and then tweak RGB midtone as need and apply USM and I am set. This also could be set up in LR or any photo editor for that matter.
    I did this with that method a couple of weeks ago.

• Person says:

looks good paul. to me those actually look very similar to the Dp1x out-of-camera colours on a sunny day with auto WB + SPP4 standard mode… which I consider a good thing!

• Awesome!! But you should know that every sd14 is slightly different from the other so advise on exact color adjustments just won’t cut it. But you did a really nice job on that train shot!

• Thanks Carl you are correct on the variation between cameras. I have had times where my camera varied from shot to shot too.
        I really would like to see SPP offer RGB color correction instead of the color wheel. It just makes sense to me considering the type of data coming off the sensor. CMYG axis make more sense for printing than acquisition.

12. Cloudy day @ ISO 400, I have slow glass so when the light goes south I skip 200 and go straight to 400 where NR comes into play with SPP 4.2 they both give about the same level of noise IMHO.
    I love this shot for its great color and cool sky. My Nikon would never have rendered something this dynamic.
    Pete

• Dan says:

Pete, it is very film-like in terms of colormovement rendition with pleasant soft contrasts.
      There is no evidence of movement on the train so you had a fast shutter. Thanks for sharing.
      -Dan

13. John says:

I want to share a photo that I took yesterday with the fabulous SIGMA SD15.

14. Andy says:

@ Paul & Lionel & Ricky
    SPPro4.2 can do RGB colour correction.
    For Green – go straight upwards
    For Blue – go to bottom left
    For Red – go to bottom right
    For example, straight-up may display 5C+5Y (Cyan and Yellow filters) … but the result is identical to pure Green.

And to move around on the SPPro colour wheel with (almost) the precision of separate “sliders”… Use the up/down/left/right cursor keys on your keyboard. (This only works when Color Adjustment is the active window and the eyedropper is not selected.)

• Ricky says:

well this doesn’t work on Mac

• Andy says:

Dooh, no keyboard colour adjustment on the Mac, that’s a pity.

In Windows version of SPP 4.2 the cursor keys do make fine colour adjustments much easier. ( Up a click, up a click more, no – back a click :) )
        Using just the mouse that sort of fine adjustment is really difficult.

The Windows cursor keys method was only discovered by experiment. Perhaps there is some other keystrokes or key combinations that would work on the Mac?

15. That would be nice to be able to do that with the Mac too I process on both the PC and Mac and have been using the arrow keys for some time.
    Problem is sometimes the steps in SPP are too course for what I want to achieve IMHO. Playing with it in levels in PS only seems to get me where I need to go to really get it right.
    Too bad that LR can’t get the X3F conversion as generally right at SPP does otherwise there would be no need for SPP in my workflow. Perhaps Apple will add it to their pro support soon then I could get to it with Aperture and iPhoto when in a real hurry.

16. Alberto says:

Carl, where are you? 8-)

we need your RAW pack, SD1 was released and Internet is now flooding with jpg files..

thnsk for sharing

• Anonymous says:

“Carl, where are you?” Didn’t you know? Carl sold al Sigma stuff. After he was told about about the price of the SD1 he now needs the money for a psychiatrist.
      Yes, I know it is terrible.

17. Person says:

Look at these:

The cat shot and the fungus shot have CRAZY detail.

WOW.

• LionelB says:

Big versions are at the button to the right of 1000. The amount of detail is exceptional but the cat is horribly over-sharpened. First impression from the bamboo is of a clinical, flat look. Technically impressive but not beautiful or captivating. Without knowing how the authors made use of SPP 5 it is impossible to say whether they lack the touch with the software or whether this look comes from crowding the sensors together.

• LionelB says:

Two images stand out from the rest on that page. There is a crawling insect taken with an SD15 and a white butterfly taken with an SD14. I see a butterfly photo taken with an SD1 has just been added but it has none of the beauty of the SD14 image. The SD1 images are certainly intriguing from a geek technical viewpoint but I am still waiting to see any that delight at an emotional level, as the earlier Foveons can.

• Person says:

print them at native size and you will get that ‘emotional’ feel.

they are too big to really get that effect on a computer monitor.

• LionelB says:

You are probably right that they look much better as prints. Native size means 20 euros for just one print though. As an experiment that is fine but if it is really the only way to appreciate the images properly then the truth is that very few of us could afford the real benefit, even if we could afford the camera. Most of us print around a quarter of that size, which is why we would have been happy with +50% improvement. Note that the hotel complex on page 2 taken with an SD14 and enlarged to SD1 native size is stunningly beautiful, when viewed on screen. Quite something for a hotel complex :-) Long live the SD14.

• Dan says:

Thanks Person for the link. The photos look silky soft and noise is not apparent, but it seems to me the dynamic range is not as high as the SD14’s. I’m sure the SD1 will be best used with image stabilization or faster lenses to deal with the larger sensor.
      Nevertheless, I’m having a hard time imagining that Sony, Canon or Nikon of similar resolution could not achieve similar results.
      As seen in the macro shots, I like that there is no staircase effect of the edges, thanks to the Foveon sensor. That’s a plus over conventional cameras. Can anyone think of any other unique characteristics judging from these samples?

18. Person says:

The fungus shot is not sharpened, I think.

And it’s ISO 400!

19. LionelB says:

SPP 5 now available for download.

20. LionelB says:

Oh dear. The ultra-minimalist 99% black interface of SPP5 has writing so tiny,tiny, tiny that I can barely read it at all ! Triumph of aesthetic over practicality. Surprised they didn’t go for black font on black background …

21. marc says:

Quite honestly there’s absolutely nothing in those images which makes them exceptional. It will be interesting to see what the results will be with sharp primes and so on but as for now all that I’ve seen just confirms that the lenses do not really follow that resolution and … I just don’t see any Foveon Magic in these images in terms of color and expression.
    My feeling is that a humbler, evolutionary upgrade of the sensor (say 8-9MP) at an afforable price-point would have been the upgrade people were waiting for, and the lower resolution would probably have preserved more of the Foveon’s characteristics.

22. Dennis says:

Yes, I entirely agree, and especially if a humbler and evolutionary sensor would find it’s way into a DP3 camera as well.

The DP1x&2x will struggle and prices will fall even more in the face of new cameras like Sony’s NEX-3C with it’s 16mp APS-C sensor as used in the Nikon D7000

I do hope Sigma can quickly bring a DP3 to market (I suspect they’ve already killed their DSLR chances) although probably the train has already left the station because all recent development will have been sacrificed on the SD1 altar?

I’m sure Carl knows more than we do and will share his views soon …. please?

• Erich says:

The 16MP-Sensor of the New NEX-C3 is identical to the (much cheaper) Alpha-55V and Alpha 580, not from the Nikon 7000. Nikon swears that the technical equal sensor is NOT a Sony-sensor. In the past Sony made a lot of sensors for Nikon, most of the BSI-Exmor Nikon build in their cams.

• Dennis says:

Oh, ok. I stand corrected.

I’d read “The NEX-C3 uses the same 16.2 MP APS-C sensor (1.5x crop factor) as the Sony Alpha A580, Nikon D7000, Pentax K5″ on http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2011/04/sleeker-sony-nex-c3-with-162-mp-sensor.html
        … and similar comments on other sites.

Anyway, I think the gist of what I was saying holds true. Sigma will need an improved DP3 before too long as other manufacturers bring new cameras to market with DSLR size sensors and high pixel counts?

• Erich says:

I’m 100% with you about the need of improvemnt for the DP3.
          I only wanted to clear, that their is no Sony-EVIL-Camera with a Nikon-Sensor (even when Nikon had a long time Sony-sensor in their Cams). If they realy offer the 16-80mm Carl Zeiss lense for E-mount (sonyrumors), the NEX-C3 (and later the NEX-7) will be an unbeatable compact combination. This will bring some more pressure to the compact market – not only for Sigma.

• Person says:

Try downloading the chinese SD1 RAWs floating around.

They might change your opinion :)

Try turning sharpening down and noise reduction off, then exporting as TIFF…

23. Morten says:

Hi Carl! Bikes look better from their right side, that’s where the crank and gears are. It bothers me that you have cut off the pedal and derailleur on some of the photos and I think the customers of your client would like to be able to check out the specs and details of the bikes.
    Otherwise the quality of the photos look fine as usual :-)

24. Pingback: Sigma Photo Pro 5 erschienen « Foto[gen]erell