Added photographer: Steve Chong

sdim8117-1680

Steve Chong is another one of my sources for inspiration. He’s been shooting film a lot in the past but somewhere around 2004 he bought his first Sigma camera and he’s now fully addicted to three layered photography. He is also one of those people that thinks SD1 is cheap and that shooting above ISO400 is for kids. ;)

Anyways, please welcome Steve to my little wall of inspiritors. (my own word). He will also add more images as time goes by and we can expect some SD1 talk as well from him.

This entry was posted in All. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Added photographer: Steve Chong

1. LionelB says:

ISO400 is rather excessive. ISO200 is quite enough thank you …

2. Richy says:

Don’t tell the nikon folk, they think it isnt an iso if they don’t have to put a K at the end :(

Amazing work from Steve, thank you for sharing! I am big Peter Lik fan, I know he is sometimes viewed as a little commercial, but if people haven’t seen his work it is well worth a look.

3. Frank D. says:

Amazing pictures from Steve.

With all the new digital toys, the expensive DSLRs, the discussions about SD1 prices, in the end, everything is about this, right?

I wish I had one shot like these in a month (maybe a year).

4. sgts says:

Not really impressed with this guys work.

5. LionelB says:

s-curve is a great image. Love it.

6. Ricky says:

incredible photos…
    ps: I also physically maintain my list of top inspiritors, in the years I’ve reached 91 between engineers, musicians, historical people. I read it when I’m discouraged about what a human can do.

7. GJM says:

I’m afraid I have to agree with sgts, I find the images rather bland and uninspiring; but perhaps I am so jaded from years of viewing images that it takes a little more to get me excited.

8. marc says:

good stuff, stunning sense of composition!!

9. flyingrooster says:

While I like some of his landscape shots like the ones posted, I especially enjoy Steve’s Stills and Conceptual Photography (e.g.: http://www.stevechong.com/images/SwirlingSeduction.jpg).
    Guess because I love doing that kind of shots myself the most…

Some wonderful shots taken only with minimal equipment – that’s the spirit! ;)

10. Jim Roelofs says:

Steve’s always inspired me, ever since my early Sigma days.

11. Bill C says:

I know the interpretation of photographs is an enormously subjective thing, but wow, there are so many things that are just “right” about Steve’s photography (composition, sense of space, innate sense of natural light, master of contrast in tone and color, I could go on). Regardless what camera system he shoots, I’ve long admired his work. Admittedly, I enjoy a good George Tice or Walker Evans photograph too, which many would consider “boring” I guess. Wonder if they would qualify as “inspirators” for you, Carl?

12. Richy says:

Given photography is like music with many genres / styles theres probably plenty out there we haven’t seen. How about we all post our top 3-5 fave togs with a link to their sites?
    I’d love to expand my horizons :) Will post mine later when I get to a computer if folks think its worth killing some electrons?

13. Nice abstract photos. High ISO is not everything, everyone doing their job can have another camera for survival. There are tons of other scenes where Bayer fails if you look colors and sharpness with trained eye.

Maye be we should talk to Photoacute software, they have pretty impressive superresolution and noise reduction software, it is really developed for bayer, but I do not see any obstacles to add X3 to the game. They work with RAW formats and produce RAW. Photoacute studio is currently only way to improve Bayer color resolution in still life.

14. Al Carlay says:

good stuff.. always admired his work and the way he uses high-key colors..

15. Steve’s got a great eye and style, a most welcome addition to your list of inspiritors!

16. Jeff says:

Great photos. I do like the fishermen shots and would like to know what lens were user.

As for the pricing, some of the kits aren’t too bad. But then again, at that price I could go out and get a body that supports a full frame sensor and the build out really good lenses. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy the Foveon sensor, but an APS-C frame does not compete with a 35mm full-frame sensor and the lenses that work with it.

I would be more than happy building out new camera bodies that work with Foveon sensors. Hopefully in time there will be Foveon based sensors that compete in the medium format arena. but that won’t happen until the 35mm space is truly competitive.

17. Ricardo Hernandez says:

I gotta love how others quantify their ISO based on what they shoot, disregarding the many other photography domains. What can I say, I must be a big kid then.

18. aurin says:

thank you, i really love the emotional work in his landscapes, giving a feeling of respect and humbleness, that man tugging his enourmous boat, the men walking along the giant pancake, the fisher looking like a flea beween strands of hair

His conceptual works are nice too, the homepage really doesn’t do it honor by presenting the pictures in such small scale (and links hard to hit too)

It saddens me to see so many otherwise beautiful homepages made with static sizing and thus growing smaller each year as the monitors get bigger, internet is about flexibility, and most photos have far better impact when viewed full size!