Day of emotions @ 85mm

SDIM0077_spp.jpgSDIM0177silky2.jpg

Now, first of all I want to tell you that Jacob, the kid that looks sooo sad – was that because his father (my brother) didn’t want him to have the pacifier in all day. He’s in a quite emotional age so to speak which I kind of used yesterday. I had the 85mm ready at all times and when he started to cry I was soo happy! :D – The girly looking kid, is a girl. That’s Jacobs little sister Ida. ISO range between 50 and 800.

SDIM0086.jpg SDIM0087_silky.jpg
Here I told him to stand in the corner, not sure he quite understood that the light there was interesting – the original shot was quite dim as light hit the lens – fixed that a little bit in Lightroom. But development is SPP.

SDIM0131.jpg SDIM0126-2.jpg
Instead of the pacifier Sven tried hard to give Jacob something else to play with – here showing some youtube clips on his iPad. (Which under normal circumstances would keep him busy, and happy). But not today. :P

SDIM0159.jpg SDIM0155.jpg SDIM0166-2.jpg SDIM0177silky2.jpg SDIM0190.jpg
Little sister Ida not really understanding her big brothers agony.  All above shots taken with the Sigma 85mm РDeveloped using Silkypix and Sigma Photo Pro.

All images at full size here.

This entry was posted in 85mm 1.4, Full size, High ISO/ASA (400+), ISO50, Sigma SD15 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Day of emotions @ 85mm

1. Matthias says:

Hi Carl, nice colors and soft gradients.

As I’m pretty sure I will get the SD1, I start thinking about lenses. If you had to limit yourself to 3 lenses, which would it be?

2. Tom Schum says:

Drat! I was hoping to get the Sigma-mount 85mm f1.4 before you! Well maybe in the next couple months… Also, I noticed that the SD1 dog was photographed using this lens. This lens is going to be lots of fun!

3. Steven says:

Oh I am so jealous of all your toys.

4. Steven,

Ah, yes.. You’re not alone. :)

5. Dan says:

3rd before last photo is superb!
    It’s nice how u end the set with a smile.

6. Dan,

Thanks for noticing! :D I know that Jacobs mom didn’t like me posting too many shots of her son at this very sad state – so adding Ida made things look a little lighter. :)

7. Tom Schum says:

I finally got my copy of the Sigma 85mm F:1.4.
    The first one had a serious focus problem. It went chunka chunka, shook the whole camera, and would only settle down if focusing on a very bright subject. The second one is better. It actually focuses OK in bright light. Here is a 100% crop of a Minnesota Wild cap (hockey team):

The file is a 2 meg download, HD (1920×1080)…
    Sharpness is very good but focus is not entirely consistent. That is, sometimes it is perfect such as you see but other times it is not. I’m thinking about contacting Sigma to try to fix this.

8. Tom Schum says:

I would like to add that the link above will take you to a 100% crop, taken at ISO 100, F4, 1/640th second. By “100% crop” I mean that I cropped out an image nearly 1080×1920 of the original 1760 x 2640 image, and I did not resize. To map this correctly to your display, you might have to turn off your computer’s automatic resizing feature. If not, your computer might resize and you will lose some of the original clarity.
    Also, I’ve been reading in the DPReview Sigma forum that there have been autofocus quirks in the SD14. I would not be surprised to see similar quirks in my SD15, and this might explain the autofocus inconsistencies I’ve been seeing with my 85mm F1.4.
    Perhaps with the supplied hoods (normal hood + APS-C hood extension ends up being at least as long as the lens itself) the 85mm will focus more consistently. Maybe if I do not use the hood extra light would foul the SD15 autofocus sensor and cause it to fail.
    I noticed last night that the 85mm focused well during some indoor shots when there was very little stray light.
    I have a 17-50 F2.8 DC OS zoom and it focuses well under almost all conditions (after Sigma USA calibrated it to my SD15). In this case this DC lens cannot support a full-frame sensor and projects a smaller image area into the camera. The smaller projected image might present far less of a challenge to the SD15 autofocus sensor!
    I’ll be trying out the hood tomorrow, and I will let you know if it helps.

9. Tom Schum says:

Tried both the 85mm and the 17-50 2.8 OS in the same environment. Both had some difficulties focusing in low light, but the 85mm more than the 17-50. I’ve ordered a viewfinder focus magnifier so I can do a few more tests. I might be pushing the SD15 autofocus to work in situations beyond its capacity. More later.