Silkypix and Sigma DP2

A year ago I used Silkypix quite a lot, I really loved its noise and color control, I was running the UK 4.0 Pro version and at the time it had native support for SD9, 10 and SD14 raw files. One day not long ago there was an update released with SD15, DP1 and DP2 support – (maybe DP1 was supported before) but when installing the update my software died. And no delete, reinstall worked until a couple of days ago. I decided to have a look at some old DP2 files (Was trying to find something useful to show Kendall who asked about using the Dp2 in the studio) and I just wanted to show you three shots taken at ISO400 and ISO800. The way you can control colors is just amazing..

They all have been straightened and rotated a little too, so keep that in mind when pixel peeping if that’s your thing.

ISO400 ISO400 ISO800

They’re all available as full sized version and I might add that there is quite a lot of visible noise, but only the good looking and real version. :)

Full size can be found in my Spring 2011 set.

This entry was posted in Sigma DP2, Silkypix and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Silkypix and Sigma DP2

1. I just realized that the first photo is iso400 too.. :) will change when I’m back home. Now having Chinese new year dinner with friends!!! Hot pot is such nice invention.

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Silkypix and Sigma Dp2 | Carl Rytterfalk Fotografi -- Topsy.com

3. Dan says:

Hi Carl,
    Nice shots! In my opinion, Silkypix is better than SPP when it comes to noise removal (although really slow). It also does a good job in removing color blotches sometimes seen in Foveon shots. However, it can still leave a level of noise in the image such as the 3rd image’s darkest area on the left. I found that Noiseware can do wonders. There is a free community version from http://www.imagenomic.com even which even on the lowest NR setting will properly remove that noise w/o sacrificing detail. Feel free to try it on these shots if you like.
    Personally, I like to keep a small level of digital grain in my photos which makes them look a bit like film, especially those taken with a Foveon sensor.
    Regards,
    -Dan

4. marc says:

Lovely film feel, colors are just amazing, gotta try SLKPIX, does it work for DP2s files?

5. Carl Rytterfalk says:

Dan, I will give it a try, although I might add that I’m a big fan of beautiful noise. :) You can if you wish, go to my flickr 2011 spring set and download that full sized shot and give it a try / then come back here and post your result.

6. Carl Rytterfalk says:

marc, I don’t know but I guess it works – DP1x didn’t though. Send me one file and I’ll give it a try.

7. Dan says:

Carl,
    With your permission I’m attaching a minimally filtered version of your ISO800 shot with NR suppression level set about half-way for luminance and color. This way most of the detail is still there. (note that the EXIF data is lost in the free community version)

Your original shot needs no adjustments. The only point I’m trying to make is that Noiseware was able to remove some noise which Silkypix left behind.

Regards,
    -Dan

8. Dan says:

[img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/5419002114_aa3af4b41b_o_filtered-1.jpg[/img]

9. Dan, Thanks a lot for showing us what to expect!

10. James Yeoh says:

Hi Carl, beautiful photos you have there! I’m currently experimenting Sigma DP2s photos with Silkypix pro too… By far my favourite settings for portrait is : “Instant Film” taste +” Memory Color 1″ + slight increase in color temperature, color deflection and exposure.

I’m just wondering whether you could create a manual taste for the above photos and share it with us? I hope that I can learn something from you manual adjustments. Thanks!