a crow..

SDIM0217.jpg
Look what I found.. ISO is around 1000 and developed using Raw Developer using very little noise reduction (much less than Sigma Photo Pro applies).. There is some banding seen in the background and I’m curios to know if the new Sigma SD1 has less of that as it’s a bit annoying. (even if only seen at higher ISO’s).  I must say that I believe my SD14 having less of that banding type noise – but I guess it varies beween cameras.

Most viewers would’t care though and just look at the crow as the crow it is! :D

This entry was posted in 50-500 OS, Full size, High ISO/ASA (400+), Raw Developer, Sigma SD15. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to a crow..

1. Tom Schum says:

I have seen this banding on my Canon 30D also. It appears when deep shadows are brightened a large amount. I think it is partly because of speed variations in the shutter curtain as it sweeps across the sensor. A good test for this might be to try something like it with a DP1 or DP2, because these do not have a focal plane shutter I believe.

2. marc says:

Banding occurs almost inevitably in digital files depending on the type of gradient … you can make the test by doing a gradient in photoshop (even in 16 bit RGB) … the only thing that can be done is to add grain which will break up the effect.

3. LionelB says:

Yes I think a grain trade-off is the answer. Applied before any brightening though. Dithering is said to work but it would have to be fine. The real answer is the sensor’s low ISO sensitivity though. Without that problem the over-brightening would not be needed and the banding would not happen.

4. Matthias says:

Hi Carl,

You may remember my thoughts about the performance (speed-wise) of SPP.

How does Raw Developer compare? How many seconds does SPP need per picture on your MAC, and how many seconds do the other programs process?

On my 4-core Windows workstation SPP needs about 4 seconds to render one X3F file.

I did a quick hack and programmed a X3F decoder that needs just about 1 second to render one X3F file on my 4-core machine…

When we get the SD1 we also get much bigger files, so speed matters, I guess.

5. Hi Matthias, (and I’m sorry if I didn’t reply to anything else but this one has a simple answer) – Raw Developer is superfast. I did a fast test for you and remember I’m using a pretty old iMac 24″..

6. The type of banding that I’m talking about isn’t the same as you think (I think) – you might think that the vertical soft stripes in the background is what I’m referring to but I’m talking about those thin stripes found in the evenly grayed area beside the crow. You can see it if you open the large version. And you find it a little everywhere.

Did you guys mean those?

7. Pingback: Tweets that mention a crow.. | Carl Rytterfalk Fotografi -- Topsy.com

8. Tom Schum says:

Carl,
    Come to think of it, aren’t crows simply black? Is this really a crow?
    Back to the stripes, I looked for other stripes in the larger version of the image but I guess I’m not looking in the right place.

9. Tom, The black and bigger relative is called raven – this one is a common crow. (in Swedish we say Kråka).

Ah, and about The stripes – yeah.. I thought so. :) these ones are not as easily spotted but when you do, they’re very annoying as they make everything look photocopied..

10. Bob van Ooik says:

@ Tom & Carl, The one Carl has here is the so called hooded crow which is the more common crow in northern and eastern europe. In western europe the carrion crow is more common and is completely black.

11. Toby says:

Hey Carl
    Do you think Raw Developer is a good alternative to SPP?
    Don’t get me wrong, i love what SPP does with my pictures but it is so slow that i am loosing the fun of working with it a bit too fast.
    So if RD is good as SPP in developing and picture quality i would try to change.
    thanks
    Toby

12. Clive says:

Fascinating to see the adaptation of Corvus – crows elsewhere are shiny black, Carl.

There’s a related bird called a magpie in English, or ggachi in Korea – very beautiful, with just a little white, and brilliant blue stripes on the wings like your kingfisher.

All Corvus are very clever birds, I think. The big ones, the ravens, I met on an island in the Arctic, staying there much of a year. They were perhaps the most clever of all, especially at various tricks on each other.

Of all your bird pictures recently, I like that first one of the kingfisher best.

Cheers, Carl,
    Clive

13. Toby, Raw Developer is a really good alternative – but I wouldn’t recommend it as your “main” developer as it lacks a few functions – for example, the X3F raw files contain certain information about the specific sensor used – every sensor is like a living being and it has it’s own character – Sigma Photo Pro and Lightroom (and possibly even Silkypix) knows about these properties but Raw Developer doesn’t. I know that the maker of Raw Developer is investigating the possibility to use “all” the info but at least with the latest version it’s not implemented.

But, if you have an SD14 with a near perfect sensor (very little green cast and little blotchiness at higher ISO) then RD will most likely give you a new world to explore.

14. Clive, The Magpie (or Skata in swedish) is very common around here and looks very different from the above crow – the Magpie is a VERY beautiful bird that loves shiny stuff – beautiful shimmering colors, blue and green plus the very white and black parts. Didn’t know that they’re related.. According to another friend the Kingfisher is related to the Crow too – oh well, I guess all birds are related somehow. :)

Thanks for the info!

15. Toby says:

Thanks a lot for your answer Carl! It’s like Sigmas company philosophy: Let our customers wait for the great quality. ;)
    I will not switch to another software until they are not really better, especially when i must pay for them.

cheers

16. Clive says:

Carl, pretty interesting thought about the Kingfishers – looking just a little, their Latin name means corvus-like, but apparently they are not that related actually. On the other hand, classification is what drove Linnaeus to distraction, isn’t it? Not much in the world is actually anything like hierarchic, and what turns up these days in genetics suggests many yet-unspoken networks of evolutionary connection, viruses deeply involved in the communication, etc..

Here’s an informative page on ggachi,with pictures showing the way the colors work. Looks like they range as far as Tibet, so maybe Linn had some in her back yard. And the European magpie is also thought a relative.

I am laughing, thinking again how these beautiful and saucy birds we like are pretty apparently developed from some small dinosaurs. When you see swallows hunting at frightening velocities in late afternoon through a tree-shrouded river canyon, as I wrote a poem about once, or recognize the athletics of a hummingbird, you can believe it.

Many good things in this world of ours, when we catch the interesting ;). Something like that Korean phrase, to ‘catch balance’.

Best,
    Clive

17. Clive says:

meant to give you this too – a little series of a ggachi landing.

Maybe it will give you ideas ;)

18. Ian Syme says:

With regards to the banding issue on the crow photograph…….I have come across this several times and have been unable to fathom out exactly what is going on. There is also the issue of strange greenish colur casts in the sky which is fairly common I find. Perhaps my SD14 also has sensor problems? File develped in Photo Pro 4 at only 100iso.
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/SDIM0735.jpg[/img]

19. Frits Thomsen says:

Hey Clive … and Carl .. you are talking about birds .. huh ?

I once made a macro image of a tailfeather from a magpie :)
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/SDIM1496PSNP.jpg[/img]

20. Ian Syme, could you send me that file as X3F? I’d like to give it a try. (carl@rytterfalk.com)

21. Frits Thomsen, wow! It really is full of colors even magnified like that! Cool! How did you take that shot btw?

22. Frits Thomsen says:

I took the macro with my SD14 and a manual 35mm Robotar M42 lens on bellows.

23. Anonymous says:

Carl Rytterfalk: Ian Syme, could you send me that file as X3F? I’d like to give it a try. (carl@rytterfalk.com)  (Quote)

Would be delighted to do so Carl. There are several others taken at same time with all some degree of this problem. Hope I get this file transfer right!

24. Clive says:

Frits, that is great. I’m really intrigued by the colored stars in the stem of the feather, besides the rest.

Have to figure out how to get Carl’s comments to message me, so will know when you post such things ;)

I’m no expert on birds, but liked the ggachi a lot, and was intrigued with the ravens walking across that isle in the Aleutians, when we could in the weather. And I liked the sparrows in Basel a lot too – very European in their manners even while getting most every crumb. Friends ;)

25. Hi,

there is a new Version 1.9.5 of RAW Developer which supports the
    Sigma SD1 and SD1 Merryll !

26. Ricky says:

and: “Complete overhaul for all Sigma cameras (Foveon) processing routines which improves color rendering, highlight recovery, noise reduction, detail and just about every aspect of these images!” :)

27. Ricky says:

I’ve played with the demo version, with dp2 and sd1 files… guys that’s incredible, outstanding. Look for yourself. Definitely raw developer can be used as the only converter for sigma files, this is what I think.

28. Ricky says:

With my DP2 the new RAW Developer works BETTER than Sigma Photo Pro (actually seeing a 400 ISO image) in almost everything. It’s a pity that very very bad resized preview, it seems like LR when still is loading but it remains in this way!, and I don’t see a lot on my macbookpro 13”. If I were adobe I would buy this firm :>.