Dp1x – Images from today!

Be sure to check out my “Questions and Answers” at times as there might pop up a few interesting things.

West coast of sweden. No HDR, one DP1x shot.
Dp1x, f5,6, ISO100, 1/80s. Full size (I had one of my old photo students visiting me today and we re-made the above shot so now it looks slightly different from when it was first published). Therefore I BUMP this post as it looks nicer until I come up with something better. :)

Did I mention that I love this little camera? I loved the DP1 immensely but the Dp1x is even better.. Have a closer look at these shots that I brought home today and tell me what you think. It sure is foveon. :) Also, note that all of these are hand held – the ones at the waterfall has been “leaned” so hand held with help. :)

Dp1x, f11, ISO100, 1/15s. Full size (corrected some to look more straight)

Dp1x, too much water - C edit
Dp1x, f11, ISO50, 1/6s. Full size

Dp1x, self portrait
Dp1x, f6,3, ISO100, 1/100s. Full size

dp1x, west coast #3
HDR. Three exposures, hand held (lucky me the DP1x is so fast). All shots ended up pretty dark so result is also a bit dark and I didn’t wanna make it look unreal.  Full size

Dp1x - west coast #1
Dp1x, f6,3, ISO100, 1/40s. Full size

This entry was posted in Adobe Lightroom, Full size, Sigma DP1, Sigma Photo Pro and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Dp1x – Images from today!

1. Matthias says:

Really some cool shots. But I will continue to use my DP1, cannot affort to switch. My wife Julia is using the DP1 as a point&shoot, me doing the PP. Results are good enough even with the original DP1 :)
    Waiting for your RAW pack for SD1 :)

2. oh! says:

maaan! that black and white shot is absolutely stunning!!!

3. clive says:

Pictures from a strong day,
    a long and low light

C.

4. I voted myself by mistake, hehe, iPad.. Good that I didn’t vote 10! :D SD1 raw pack next!!

5. RJ says:

I wish sigma makes a 35mm version. Although you can always crop the picture in post from the 28mm to 35mm, I really love a true 35mm just like the old film point and shoots I used when I was a kid.

6. Kevin Chua says:

Well Carl, the pics are fantastic, but I think it is the man behind the camera that plays an important role here! You can probably use a cheap camera phone and get excellent results. But yeah, I agree 1x is a really fine landscape camera.

7. RJ, Well, 35mm version would be nice if there was a FF sensor behind it! :D That would gives us the depth of true 35mm.. Cropping these wouldn’t give the good old style justice.

8. Matthias, Tell Julia she’s a great photographer and that her husband is doing very good as a PPer. :D (I guess teaching a few things along the way?!)

9. Kevin Chua, It’s so nice to have you around again, you are part of my first years fighting with the SD9 back in 2002, 2003. Anyways. Thanks for the compliment. :)

10. “My wife Julia is using the DP1 as a point&shoot, me doing the PP.”

That’s one more thing I like about the Sigma DP’s. You set them to ‘Aperture Priority’ and they nail the exposure most of the time.
    You can just use them like a point and shoot.
    And there is so much leeway in the raw files that you can get them exactly where you want them to be in SPP.

“Plus1″ from me for the 35mm angle. Let’s hope that the next DP has the SD1 sensor and 35mm lens. (Or dream bigger and wish for a 24-35-50 step zoom :)

11. Bengt Werner says:

Hi Carl!
    Fantastic photos from yesterday. I like them all, perheps a little favor to b/w picture, the contrast is gorgeous. The handheld HDR was a good work.

Bengt

12. Diamondring says:

Hi Carl!

Great pictures! I reposted one of them in WUJI. Hope it doesn’t offense.

Here I give you a fortune pig in return, it’s my first DP1x shoot.
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/SDIM3561-center.jpg[/img]

13. NiHao WUJI user.. :) No problem. Please add a link or something to where you posted it. Thanks.

14. Matthias says:

@Carl: Thanks for both compliments, I will tell Julia about it. The only thing I told her is “get close”, which does not apply to her landscape shots :)

@Tilman: My wife is using P-mode only :) For those misty sunny shots (on flickr there are more from that day) I had to recover from over exposure a lot. Did work most of the time, but some shots have blown skys…

15. Diamondring says:

Carl Rytterfalk: NiHao WUJI user.. :) No problem. Please add a link or something to where you posted it. Thanks.Such nice shot of the pig as well.. Brilliant colors! :) Linn is born in the year of the Pig so she will enjoy it. Thanks.   (Quote)

Sure, I added this webpage link in the post.
    Thanks.
    You know, many DPxers here have heard of you.

I have run a DPx users’ club in WUJI since DP1. We have handreds of DPxers here and there are more than 60,000 posts all together. ;-)))

I’m in Beijing.
    Next time when you are in Beijing, maybe I can take you to some amazing places around here and find some DPxers or SDxers to get together.

16. Manuel DF says:

Today I looked out of my window and the streets are… well, streets. Thats the point: no Fjord, way less inspiring places. I definitely need a vacation in some landscape that differs. Fine pictures Carl, good to see some 28mm landscape-stuff from you.

Regards, Manuel

• Well, Manuel – If I look out my window I see E45 – that’s a heavy duty “europa” road! I need to move myself some before getting anything interesting :). Although I love taking snaps of my neighbors. Maybe that’s something to do? You must have some PEOPLE around?

17. Diamondring, I will definitely search for this post when I’m on my next trip to Beijing! :P

18. Manuel DF says:

That is a good suggestion, Carl, I will put more afford in this. Usually subjects tend to be easily bugged if they get pictured with the short DP1… I got to learn a lot.

Regards, Manuel

19. 24k18k says:

I own a DP1, good camera! the Sigma DP1x is great, but an interchangeable lens Sigma DP is even better! Hope my dream will soon come true!

P.S. A creative Chinese, his own selfmade Sigma DP18! http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=813398
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/dp1.jpg[/img]

• Ah, yes! I heard about it and ain’t that something?! I really would like to do something like that with one of mine! :D

Btw, I’m about to reveal the truth, nothing but the truth about my latest videos.. Uploading to youtube.

20. Thomas Turnbull says:

Is that first sunset picture for real? I’m not kidding, my jaw dropped open and stayed that way! Is that what the colors looked like or is it a post processing rendering?

I’m just beginning to think of the DP2s, and also the DP1x,if I found it’d be worth while and could swing it financially. I have the DP1, and like many of the images it’s produced, but they’re nothing like this one of yours! (To be fair, neither is my landscape on the Great Plains of Montana, which isn’t bad, bt I do miss the water….)

The reason I’m thinking of these is that they’re lightweight. I have a Sony a900 and two legacy Minolta lenses, and I absolutley love what it does, but my arms aren’t nearly as strong as they once were and the weight of the Sony makes them painful. A respected friend thinks the world of the Fovean pictures and suggested I look.

So, once again, is that first picture really for real?

I love it.

All the best,

Tom Turnbull

21. Hi Thomas, yes. Those pictures including the first one is for real! But sure, I saturated those colors to fit my imagination but it’s no trickery above that. I did add a gradient in LR to darken the sky some after saving it from Sigma Photo Pro, but no other colors or anything like that has been added. I didn’t use any filter on the camera either.
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/Screen shot 2011-01-27 at 13.43.31.jpg[/img]

22. Chris Abela says:

I adore the Sigma dp1!!! and i’ve only just discovered it. Love it so much i’ve just ordered a dp1x. Some pictures of my recent trip to scotland are on my blog – http://teywu.blogspot.com/

Carl, this site is a great meeting place for Sigma DP users. Thanks for your hard work, Chris, UK.