Amazing Sigma SD1 detail! (Updated)

I just can’t help myself from showing you another recording from two other Sigma SD1 prints that Laurence Matson brought – they look soo spectacular in all ways possible! I used my iPhone 4 once more to record this, not the 5D as someone thought. :) Please comment on what you see in a few hours I will go back to sweden and have my last “Adobe Photoshop Day” session and I’m pumped with interesting stuff to talk about! :D

Music in above movie is by Faye Wong (or Wang Fei as it’s in China) and the song’s name is Jiang ai .  She’s my favorite Chinese singer. Really cool music if you ask me.

Music in above movie is by my little sister Kerstin Karlsson – she recorded every voice and instrument her self and she’s letting me use it for videos. You can download her full song here.

See also:
Original SD1 post with first thoughts and comments.
First SD1 video of two other prints.

This entry was posted in Sigma Photo Pro, Sigma SD1 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Amazing Sigma SD1 detail! (Updated)

1. chunsum says:

I like the music. :D BTW, those prints are very impressive.

2. thechebb says:

There aren’t enough words except…wow…that is amazingly detailed…wow….wow….wow…WOW!!!

3. Chunsum, I LOVE WangFei! :D

And Chebb, I agree!

4. Eirik says:

Carl :

did you ask about price and possibility for video ?
    like the grip very much , nice to hold

5. Earthrise says:

It looks like you’re filming a piece of jewellery lieing on card not a pic! Looks a fantastic studio cam, and the weather sealing suggests Sigma want it to be taken seriously out of the studio too. Any impression how it might perform in non-studio lighting?

6. Kendall Helmstetter Gelner says:

I also came to post that when going over the flower and jewelry, it felt like you were filming the actual object and not an image…

Thanks for trying to capture what you are seeing there, I really wish I could have been there in person this year to see the camera and images.

7. delaphotography says:

Wow…I’m so impressed with all this. I really hope the SD1 makes out to the public in reasonable time frame. I for one really hope there is no video! This is a beautiful picture taking machine…please Sigma don’t give in to video, but live view would be really nice!

Lucky you Carl…you got to hold it in your hands!

8. NewbieSD9 says:

We heard it here first … SP1 name of Sigma’s mirrorless interchangeable lens compact :-))

9. Bob van Ooik says:

carl, it doens’t play here because of copyright issues… Sony does not allow this ;)

10. chris says:

This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment.
    It is not available in your country. :-(

11. ddd says:

What size are the prints?

12. Lea Tippett says:

Looks like a great camera Carl. I must admit i would prefer having the top display but hey it’s a beast of a camera.
    Wish i was there to view the camera and ofcourse meet some of you but maybe another time.
    I’ve already had some of my friends who are Cankon die hards show a lot of interest in the beast!

Kind regards Lea.

13. Ricky says:

don’t you have the time to do some macro shots of some prints for us? or, also, Laurence Matson please give us the TIFFs!!!!! ;)

14. Silvercat56 says:

Can say only WoW! even if taken with an iPhone we can get a true idea of what this camera is capable; expecially when the background gets close to black you couldn’t say “it is a print” or “it is a real jewel”, very very impressive. Just hope you can get some shots from that camera, files to share. Good job Carl

15. spalbird says:

I really like the increased number of controls on the body. AF adjustment is also very welcome.

16. Jim Kofron says:

Carl,

Thanks for the ‘fly by’ of these images. They do look fantastic. I’m not as concerned about the cost of the new camera—it’s the new large format printer that I’m going to need with it!

Really impressive. Kudos to Sigma’s team for getting this together in what I think is a really aggressive time frame!

17. florian says:

I’d buy a FF (even 1.1) foveon camera now if it was available. Hope Sigma & nikon will make a futur partnership to build this speciality camera…

18. New version of above movie with my little sisters song instead being uploaded now. (some people couldn’t see the current one).

19. But it Will unfortunately take some more time as I’m now at a place with super slow Internet up stream.. Grrr

20. Matthias says:

Super slow upstream? Sounds like a place in Germany…

21. Marc says:

I guess some people will provide some Canon/Nikon/Leica-lens adapters/conversions for this cam, in order to take advantage from the sensors capabilties … Carl, from your knowledge and experience, what is the best Sigma-Glass money can buy in the prime lenses category and more towards moderate tele (80-130mm)? Some glass that will be able measure up to this sensor in terms of resolving power ?

22. Wally Newell says:

It looks to me that the SD1 may be a game changer in the IQ race. I wonder how what it will do with high iso shots (1600 and above.)

23. NewbieSD9 says:

11-point twin cross type. It features dual sensing arrays on both vertical and horizontal axes at each point, arranged in a hound’s tooth pattern (sometimes also called a “half-pitch shifted” pattern) to ensure maximum precision and low-light efficiency. This effectively bestows the E-3 with 88 data points.

Due to the cross type design on all eleven sensors and a proprietary Olympus microsensing technology equally effective performance on both the vertical and horizontal axis is achieved.
    Subjects with little contrast or in low light are also focused accurately and quickly.

… the world’s fastest AF speeds in a D-SLR could be achieved with the highest levels of precision.

:-))

24. blue says:

In threads the last years you got bothered if you useed this expression, but die SD1 has really a “3-D-effect”.

25. Larry says:

Wow.

I’ve never wanted a camera so bad.

26. Graham says:

Using SD14 for a while and happy with it.
    Very excited to get an SD1. Hope I dont have to wait too long.

Also excited about the music in the flower vid. I know it’s wang fei but what is the name of that song? Thanks for help.

27. G. says:

Carl, so thankfull that you posted the videos. I can not see the upmost one due to Sony and copyright issues but nevertheless the first 2 videos show really mouth wetting results. Thanks.

28. G. says:

Ahh, sorry. The movies are identical. Now I got it.

29. Hi G, yes. :) They’re identical but the second one has my little sisters song inside instead. I use that sometimes when a issue like with the first video arises.

30. Steve Chong says:

Didn’t know Faye Wong was that big in Europe! Either way, the music and the video were cool!

Thanks Carl!

– steve

31. Mikko says:

Hi Marc,

not that I have one myself, but I’d suggest the 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro. It’s actually used as a reference lens for all mounts by a Finnish camera mag.

Best,

Mikko

32. Ed SJ says:

diana krall!!! your sister will be more famous than you carl!

33. Michael Farrier says:

Imagine, a Full frame 36x24mm = 864 mm2 vs 24×16= 384 would be x 2.25 bigger = 103.50 mgpxls. And the poss. to use F.F. lenses . this APS-C sensor is bigger than the other one
    20×14 >< even so the image quality of the foveon is very
    outstanding, exepcional. 46 mgplxs are more than enough but the F.F.or medium format 4.5 x 6 cm.should be my dream .That video example is very clear Sigma got a fabulous
    and extraordinary sensor .Creers.

34. me says:

Just wanted to say that you can’t watch the video here in Germany bc of Copyright issues (music content belongs sony music it says)

35. Hi Me, that’s why there is a second version. :) “Ok music”