Sigma SD1 samples – secretly filmed!!

These shots has been taken with the actual SD1 by some Foveon folks and it’s really amazing how much depth is seen in these samples – even if all I’ve seen has beed printed samples – the last one in the video is the “pure” size of what a 46MP file prints like att uncropped 100% resolution and it has to be viewed in person to be understood. Also I’ve been told by persons with no name that the sensor has been dramatically improved over old sensor design – and what surprised me was that each pixel has 5µm compared to SD14’s 7.xµm. I thought the difference would be much greater.

Four years of developing seams to have paid off! :P

I will write some more about the camera itself tomorrow (I hope) but I’ve only looked at it for now and even if I had it close to me I didn’t touch it. Hopefully tomorrow.

This entry was posted in iPhone, Movie, Review, Sigma SD1 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Sigma SD1 samples – secretly filmed!!

1. Richard Box says:

can’t view. it’s a private vid >_< :(

2. Marc says:

Holy crap, if they get this kind of IQ and they don’t get it fundamentally wrong with other aspects of the camera they really revolutionized the camera market. This thing is gonna fly of the shelves …

3. Britton says:

Amazing!!!
    Thank you Carl for putting this up!

I can’t wait!

4. Ricky says:

I’ve passed all the day on the books (I’m a student and friday morning I’ve an exam) and on your blog. What a great ending before sleeping :D. The last image… I’ve never seen that IQ in my life… probably because I’m not a pro, I don’t know… however that’s… that’s… WOooOOOOOoooOOW!

5. Bob van Ooik says:

Impressed, big time! This is going to be such an amazing studio camera!

6. Marc says:

Love the form-factor too, kinda technical and male … a real ‘photographers tool’ in a classical sense, with no schnick-schnack, this is gonna be a great and much beloved camera …

7. The funny part with that huge print in the beginning is that every single piece on the prints would be pretty nice looking by it self. Cropped.

I’m also pretty sure they will use VPS technology (like in the days of SD9 with Low, Med and Hi resolution) to get some speed in lower resolution – and if you need this “extreme” mode you would have to accept a slower speed. But to get a Medium format IQ I think most would accept that. :)

But thats my assumptions doing my own math. :D

Also release according to Sigma is around february – and some guys says – we learned our lesson and this time we’ll try to make it happen! (SD15 did take a little longer as some might remember).

The SD1 will change the way we look at Sigma, but it’s important now that they do this one right! That it’s still responsive while saving a shot (user can change aperture / shutter / ISO and perhaps even reviewing shots) and that buttons pressed always stays snappy to action.

But I must tell you, I have high hopes for this camera! If they deliver half from what I’ve seen it’s still a huge improvement from current SLR’s.

8. Ken says:

Its amazing!

It looks like a Phase or Leaf medium format back.

9. Clive says:

Carl, thanks for putting that up.

It’s looking a bit fantastic.

What an interesting story to follow as we begin to see…

Best on it,
    Clive

10. I used to work with a Leaf DCB and Iris jet printer. I’ve missed big files and big prints like that. I’m very much looking forward to the SD1.

11. Isiah says:

Carl…Thank you so much! I can see the image quality… Wow!!

12. Pingback: Anonymous

13. fiatlux says:

Looking at the portrait pic… I wonder if that sensor is not too detailed ;-)

An amazing camera nonetheless. It will likely give the EOS 5D MkII, 1Ds MkIII, Sony FF SLRs, Nikon D3x and entry-level MF a good run for their money. Hopefully, it won’t be priced accordingly.

I wonder if Sigma is going to back the camera with some more professional lenses: mostly updated fast wide angle primes and a beefier version of the 18-50 2.8.

14. Anders Bjørn says:

Oh I really hope that it will be out in february!!!

And that portrait – I’ve never seen anything that film-like. Albeit, it’s still a YT-vid…

There’s no secret in, that I’m in love with the SD1 already! :)

15. thechebb says:

Thanks for the report Carl! I’m looking forward to getting an SD1, and really excited to see you and the Sigma faithful produce some jaw dropping images!!

16. patrick says:

Any indication when it will be in stores? Do we have to wait another 2 years for this?

17. roman says:

Thanks Carl, the video did a good job showing the detail.
    Hope Sigma puts it on the market faster than with the sd15.
    Any price idea?
    Thanks again.

18. Ray fitchett says:

Imet Carl at Photokina 2010 for the first time. We had some really detailed discussion and whilst (as a SIGMA UK employee) cannot answer specific technical queries, where I do seeblog comments and can offer a supportive comment I will endeavour to do so. Needless to say, having discovered “the font of knowledge” that the rytterfalk web site appears to be, with the blogs from it’s contributors, I will be a regular visitor myself.

First response to a blog is that the new SIGMA 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS is a remarkable lens and I feel even exceeds the high performance levels of the outgoing 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro – but with the latest SIGMA optical stabilization (OS)system will make it an even more popular purchase.

Do also check out the new stabilised SIGMA 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM as it has FL glass (FL glass developed by HOYA & SIGMA in partnership) as once again it is stunningly good!

19. Silvercat56 says:

Well, Hello to everybody, I am new at this site, very pleased to meet you all.
    About this post I would thank Carl a lot for the amazing video which shows the incredible quality of the Sigma flagship.
    Waiting for more

20. adrian says:

Very good post Carl! I think, this is the first time we get a feel how good it is.
    I guess, it’s on print that the SD1 can show its muscle, a 48MP one. :)
    Additionally, it would love lots of light, perfect for studio use.

21. Kristian says:

Thanks for the shots. Look great!

Pity that SD1 will be so expensive.

“…price of around £ 1,800-2,000 in the UK….”

according to

22. florian says:

hope they improved the buffer & other bugs.
    This camera & prints is all I dreamed off since the begining of DSRL. I move to Nikon for technical reasons but this is making me thinking really hard on selling all my gear & investing in Sigma.
    The only thing that really bugs me is that I just bought some expensive HSM Nikon mounted lenses…

Look at the articile bellow, Sigma claims beeing working on a FF system based on the same resolution (or bigger) :

23. NewbieSD9 says:

Ray fitchett:

Welcome Ray :-)) from Blighty :-))

Carl is the reason i took up Foveon & im never going back to any other dslr for main photography … i think i should try to get a few more SD9 !

I think Carl is the one person who has championed Foveon right from the beginning and quite probably is the person who has done most to enlighten us about Foveon’s output. I would love for Carl to be given an SD1 to test as Carl will undoubtedly get the best out of the SD1 and also for his continual love of Foveon.

24. NewbieSD9 says:

Ray fitchett:
    whilst (as a SIGMA UK employee)

Ray :-))

May i suggest something please

Sigma to have the SD1 in Sigma mount and Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony mounts … or at least adapters for each of these mounts.

AIM … to generate HIGH SALES of SD1 to provide funds for further R&D, and to satisfy shareholders, creditors.

WHY … because

1. Tens of thousands of Canikon, Solypen users will jump to SD1 IF and ONLY IF they can use their existing lenses.

2. Only when Canikon, Solypen users can compare the output of SD1 with their current cameras, using their existing lenses will they realise what Fioveon gives.

Thus almost guaranteeing HIGH SALES of SD1.

:-))

25. delaphotography says:

Thanks for showing us that Carl!

26. Sigmafanboy says:

Hi Carl,

thanks for the videos. Could you strip the music part from the one video off, so that youtube is not blocking it (or go withit to vimeo)?

We are all excited. Hope to see you soon with your SD1 impressions back at the sigmauserforum dot com

27. spalbird says:

This camera does not match well with the SD15 release date… Now I wonder whether Sigma is able to keep spring next year. Certainly exciting news. Will it be necessary to wait for the SD2, a camera which the SD1 was supposed to be (in analogy to SD15 <- SD14)?

Sigma is a camera maker whom I admire for some reasons… Anyway, the most ununderstood decision for me is, why the hell don't they produce their cameras with a Canon or Nikon mount? Does Sigma so much fear to become really successful?

28. Pingback: Amazing Sigma SP1 detail! | Carl Rytterfalk Fotografi

29. @spalbird I hope they stay true to the release date too I’m very much excited for it.

I think Sigma is trying to set itself up as a camera manufacturer of it’s own… Granted canon and nikon mounts would skyrocket their popularity, but being able to be your own is a great feeling… I just hope they succeed this time.

30. delaphotography: Holy Smokes!!!!!!! I almost fell out of my chair while watching that video! I have this stupid grin on my face that I can’t get off…WOW!!!WOW!!! amazing…I can only imagine how impressive those print are in person.Thanks for showing us that Carl!

About the same reaction that most people had watching it THERE in the booth. :)

31. Pingback: Second Sigma SD1 thoughts.. | Carl Rytterfalk Fotografi

32. NewbieSD9 says:

Ray fitchett:
    whilst (as a SIGMA UK employee)

Hi Ray :-))

This was suggested about the SD1 sensor naming on DPReview

“15.3DD sensor.

This would cause a very truthful yet compelling edge to the sensor that would be very real and easily understood. something no one could argue.
    Everyone would find it more favorable once understood.”

You see … then when compared to Canon 1Dv4, Nikon D3s, Pentax 645D, Sigma could say look how our 15.3DD compares at large print sizes.
    People will say oh my goodness, and word will spread.

People are not stooopid, then know a marketing statement when they see one. Claiming a 15MP sensor as 45MP will get found out and Sigma will have a lot of explaining … loosing customers.

Yet when a company is honest and tells it as it is, letting the people discover the superb ability of the product, Sigma becomes a brand with the WOW factor the X factor …
    and most importantly for the accountants, shareholders a sales magnet :-))

Please remember … Marketing for show, Honesty for Dough (money)

Thank you.

33. Ed SJ says:

thanks for paying homage to my oldie but still a goodie sd9 (“sd9 like sharpness u said?”)this cam still can stand up with todays cams (I have a t2i & imho it compares pretty well to it)…keep your passion for foveon/sigma going carl, were right behind u.

34. Michael Farrier says:

That size must be printed only in an industrail printery.
    thats Fabulous, this is medium format size into a sensor
    APS-C, amazing.