Jewelry photography, day five.

Diamond ring..
Now I moved so much away from my initial setup that I feel that I will show you a picture or two of what my current setup actually looks like. Woohoo! I will post some in the comments section.  The above shot is slightly cleaned up – the gold surface was slightly scratched and some dents so I repainted the middle reflection and the bottom left – but other than that it’s the original photo – I’m now very satisfied with how reflections works – and if I change ring reflections still look beautiful. I must say that the pure IQ that the Sigma SD15 gives is extremely high. I’ve been looking at other photographers works with jewelry and once you go closer it just doesn’t look good. This shot is available in full size as well. A bit too full really. :)

This time I didn’t use anything else than LR3 and PS5. The only thing left now is to continue with OOF – and see where I should stop before text is readable. This shot is ISO50, 105mm, f11, 1/160s.

This entry was posted in 105mm, Adobe Lightroom, Flash, Full size, How to, ISO50, Sigma SD15, Studio and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Jewelry photography, day five.

1. There is one part missing in these shots – the round semi transparent white reflector that is placed in between the softbox and the set. [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/SDIM0009.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/SDIM0006.jpg[/img]

2. Mike Earussi says:

I appreciate you showing your setup, it’s far more educational than a verbal description. I especially find interesting your use of the white cardboard with the hole cut out for the camera to shoot through. BTW, I also like your “symmetrical book stacking” in the back.:)

3. Clive says:

Carl, great that it is ‘coming together’. I liked seeing your setup also. And that you have such a setup, easy to work with.

This latest ring looks quiet good – interest, but nothing too strong or distracting in the reflections.

Are you using any masking, to aid in painting/tint control?

4. Ricky says:

oh, wow

5. spalbird says:

The back of the ring looks fatter than the front and I don’t like that, repeating myself… When showing the ring like this the center of the picture where the eye is moved first is in the white small erea between front and back. I believe the eye should focus onto the stones first, ghen on the rest… The text is unreadable and this is wrong IMO.

6. uri c says:

hello carl

is it true that you cannot do anything while the sd15 camera is saving the files into the sd card.

so i cant press play when it writing the camera is locked ?

7. Hi Uri, You can change ISO. :) But not much more.

8. Anonymous says:

Hi Spalbird, The jeweler didn’t sant the text inside the ring to be readable – He gives me “real” ones later that has different names etc inside and it’s not supposed to be seen like that. So this was the only way without doing lots and lots of PS editing. I told this in one of the other “days”. :) Perhaps day four. But making the center divide thingi off center would perhaps be a good thing, thanks for mentioning it. It’s as easy as it sound thou. ;)

9. spalbird says:

As a customer I still would like to know what is written in the ring. If it is unreadable this would keep me busy for some time. The theory is, the eye is catching the bright parts of the picture first. If you keep the background for the backside darker than for the foreground this might work, or study how it is done on pictures you like…

10. uri c says:

hello carl

today i got sd15 with 17-70 OS for tests for a few days.

i must say that it’s quite amazing , the sharpness it’s unparallel to canonikon. there is alot of air between objects and color thickness.here is an exmaple of my wife.

the only thing the concern me is the delay when pressing the shutter to the actual time it takes the shot and the next thing is that you can not do anything while the camera is writing the files to the SD card. do you think that sigma will repair this in the nest firmware ?

[img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/lital.jpg[/img]

11. nicoimages says:

Hello Carl

I think the rings look great but the perspective appears to be distorted. I think that the eye is drawn immediately to the base of the ring which looks bigger than the top. I have attached a very crudely adjusted (took me 3 seconds) image in photoshop to illustrate the point. I wish that none of the rings had any inscriptions as they looks so distracting either in or out of focus.

Nicholas
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/4929515633_1a88bd11ea.jpg[/img]

12. Hi Nicholas,

Nice illustration, and I agree with you – it’s much nicer when the base looks thinner than the top – and if I didn’t need to make it so OOF, then it would most likely look better. But this is the wish of the jeweler and I think I better stick to what he wants – And I will try to take some shots of text less bases and then implement those into other rings in PS – if it’s possible. It’s not as easy as it might sound as I really need to take each shot exactly the same, every time. And because I do this by hand, it’s more or less impossible.

13. NewbieSD9 says:

Hey Carl

Please excuse this suggestion from a nooob … mebe just reversing the pic so the base is on the left, top on the right, so the eye is drawn first to the top.

14. NewbieSD9 – so that the ring appears to be tilted downwards? Perhaps you can illustrate on one of the shots? Grab it, change it, post it!

15. Uri, I think I missed saying something about your shot. It looks great! I do hope that you will truly love your SD15 as well..

16. NewbieSD9 says:

[img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/carl ring flipped.jpg[/img]

??? :-))

17. Nasrin says:

Great experience!! we do jewelry retouching service like below.

18. Salim Ahmed says:

Great photography i love jewelry photography. Thanks for sharing