Pictures up on SD15 site!

Thanks to Eirik I found out that Sigma have put up some samples already on their  Sigma SD15 site .. The series is not complete as you might understand and in time I will show you much more and you can expect some nice raw to play with later. :) And YES that’s my mom.  :D  (NO, not the guy on the moped)

for rytterfalk.com

This entry was posted in Sigma SD15. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Pictures up on SD15 site!

1. waiting for sd 15 says:

wow!!!
    Can’t Wait To Buy An SD15 !
    when will it be available?

2. Knut says:

Congrats. Not so surprised that they chose you to be one of the lucky ones to test the new camera. My hope is that they are able to deliver soon…

3. Love and Hate says:

You lying bas… You have it!

What are the results? Maybe some new functions, approach or bag of chips inside box?

In a few hours there be all 200 sigma users in your blog.

4. Love and Hate says:

Bicycle lock? What a charming necklace!

5. uri says:

hello carl

the samples are dissapointing the images are flat not so sharp
    and i think is less better then the sd14.

6. Marc says:

Oh my god this is so gay … looks like some sample pictures from a Nikon Coolpix anno 2001, well I’ll better wait for the next Canon 1Ds Mark IV, sounds a hell of a lot more interesting …

-32mp CMOS (New Sensor Technology)
    Noise control wasn’t the primary goal of the sensor, dynamic range is.

7. Love and Hate says:

Marc: Oh my god this is so gay … looks like some sample pictures from…

You are too soon to judge… Yet. JPG bits are bits until there will be a full feature review. Especially first hand. Personal experience is always more important in art of photography than anything else. It’s not about camera, its about handling camera. If you are afraid to admit it, just buy yourself Hasselblad. Don’t go for smaller fish, that does not suit your great potential.

BTW. If you see images not sharp, maybe you should ask parents to buy you better screen, other than drooling on Canon IV. Without nice flat panel you won’t see any difference. Believe me, boy.

8. Marc says:

In the end it’s about how much money they’re gonna be able to pull from the SD15 platform to spur development of new sensor technology … in this case it’s next to nothing, Sigma is just lagging behind in the development curve, they started out from a interesting innovation and ended up next to nothing due to lack of funds. But the race is definitely over now, high pixel count, further innovations regarding dynamic range will leave the Foveon behind for ever. (Well maybe except if they have hire some Steve Jobds kind of CEO who handles Innovation right … in case of a japanese company and given their hierarchic Inertia, I would be rather doubtfull)

9. Jeff says:

To be honest I’m pretty dissapointed in the IQ. Don’t get me wrong, all the photographers took excellent shots with great composition; it just looks like the noise profile hasn’t changed at all. Hopefully that’s a preproduction model issue.

10. Marc says:

To Love and Hate …

Lol! I have a Eizo CG243 screen , fully calibrated, should be ok … what are you on, a iMac?

11. Guys, Wait until you see those RAW files, and those of you that has a DP2 knows what to expect.

It’s all down to processing – choosing the correct color mode and doing the magic in SPP. These photos seems more or less un-processed to me. Mine certainly are (these are processed by Sigma) Only thing done on the moped shot for example is WB (road) and exposure up +0.3. Nothing else. (just comparing right now to my original).

12. Marc, that’s a very nice screen you got there. :)

13. Marc says:

Yeah I only have nice toys, with all the taxes you have to pay here in France it’s better to buy some equipment, at least you can deduct the stuff as working equipment, otherwise I loose 50% off what I invoice … It’s a nice screen tough, delivers couple of halftones and color values more than standard ones and I do a lot of print work so I guess it’s not wrong to have the right gear lined up to get the job done properly!

14. Vlad says:

Marc: Oh my god this is so gay … looks like some sample pictures from a Nikon Coolpix anno 2001, well I’ll better wait for the next Canon 1Ds Mark IV…

I do understand what you mean by the lack of innovation and development coming from Sigma, but the Canon you are taking about will quite probably cost 8x more.

15. Vlad says:

waiting for sd 15: wow!!!
    Can’t Wait To Buy An SD15 !
    when will it be available?

Sigma says June 25th in Japan:

16. Dan says:

Carl,
    Did you submit to Sigma any of your trademark B/Ws? They should have had some of those type of work on their samples page, it would show the benefits of Foveon when it comes to B/W. Right now they only show color pics taken between ISO 100-200.
    Thanks,
    -Dan

17. adrian says:

I don’t expect any difference in IQ compared to the SD14, maybe, more reliable and better performance.

18. adrian says:

I’m back just to comment on Marc’s first comment. He’s quite right regarding image quality in terms of resolution or color accuracy. Good Bayer cameras with 12MP or more has similar pixel quality of the Foveon when shot at lower resolutions or sampled at Foveon resolution. It’s quite difficult to find images wherein a Foveon image is better than huge Bayer sensors.

What I observe though from various original files taken from a Foveon is they can resolve various hues of brown and orange noticeably better than Bayer.

19. Rob says:

Foveon technology is very similar to high-end scanning technology. You really have to know what you are doing to get the optimum results from the RAW files. Also you may never get the same results twice! However when utilized correctly the results can be stunning. The little sensor in the Sigma cams is very powerful, it behaves in a similar fashion to the performance of larger MF digital backs. Sadly the development of the Foveon technology is falling behind, I hope someone lights a fire under Sigma now that they own Foveon!

Marc, there is learning curve to working with the Foveon technology. You can’t just pick it up and make plastic images right out of the box like a Canon. I should know I own 5 Canon DSLRs that I use professionally. Photography isn’t about who has the best toys, it’s about mastering a timeless art with the tools that are available. Until you try an SDxx/DPx you really won’t understand! Believe me they can be a PITA to use but the images- once properly processed- are quite intriguing.

20. Marc says:

Hi Rob,

Agree, I actually have a SD1 and it’s probably unfair to base one’s judgment on this one because it’s so slow and unresponsive, I find it very difficult to get ‘things right’ with the DP1, starting from framing with the mediocre screen and let’s not get into the ‘capturing the moment’ thing, it happened very very rarely to me to get nice shots out of it but I couldn’t agree more with you that if you nail the shot the results are really impressive and they have that certain something that Bayer shots lack (agree with adrian) … but as far as the DP1 goes the baseline is ‘unreliable’ as far as results go. I probably should give the SD15 (or even the SD14) a try as it resolves many of these issues, but then again there’s that frustration that we move from the SD14 to 15 and the development curve is just not there … which again is understandable given Sigma’s ressources and maybe there’s something about their corporate culture or their business strategy which makes that things just won’t lift off. To sum it up I just don’t feel comfortable to buy myself into that camera system.

Compared to that Canon and Nikon feel like good systems to buy into, both companies are very established with a broad following and they have a lot of money and ressources, enough to keep on pushing development and innovation … in that sense (and in answer to Vlad) I would feel more comfortable to once invest in a 7K camera like the upcoming Canon 1Ds MKIV if they finally manage to get dynamic range comparable to MF backs (maybe also get rid of that darn diffraction filter).

To sum it up my feeling is that Bayern will go a long way and that sooner or later initial shortcomings of this technology will be resolved through the huge amount of ressources these companies can pour into development, so it’s the right technology to invest into.

Ok you guys will ask me what I do on this blog then … ;)

21. Vlad says:

… in that sense (and in answer to Vlad) I would feel more comfortable to once invest in a 7K camera like the upcoming Canon 1Ds MKIV if they finally manage to get dynamic range comparable to MF backs (maybe also get rid of that darn diffraction filter).To sum it up my feeling is that Bayern will go a long way and …

I see what you mean.
    And that “Bayern”, LOL, nice slip!

22. uri c says:

hello everyone

there is something very special about the images.

in israel there is only 100 users with sigma body.

what do you think ?

23. Pawel says:

it has the same sensor as SD14, right? so is the quality any different? TELL us SOMETHING :-) please :-)

24. Anonymous says:

i realy dont know i think that the proccesing chip is different.

the samples in sigma web are not so good.

25. Marc says:

Latest news: no low pass (diffraction) filter on the upcoming Canon 1Ds MkIV, meaning we will finally get rid of the smudgy and blurry pixel look so characteristic of the Bayer Sensor … I think I will DEFINITELY be in the market for this one, I think they’re gonna get it right this time.

“1Ds Mk IV will not have sensor cleaning since Canon has removed the 3-layer low pass filter to improve per-pixel acutance and microcontrast. Microlenses over the sensels would also not be 100% gapless like other recent Canon sensors because of M9-style offset microlenses to capture more light in the edges of the FF sensor.”

26. Rob says:

No. I would keep the Canon, much more versatile than Sigma. Pick up the sd15 (or even a 14) as a 2nd camera, it will not replace what the 5DII can do.

uri c: hello everyonei am considaring to sell my 5dmk2 and my 70-200 F4 IS and 24-105L and canon 1.4 extender and go for the sd15.there is something very special about the images.my main problem is high iso and that i cant shoot birds because of the low frame rate and weather sealing.i think that sigma need to make dslr body that canon and nikon guys that have lenses can buy the body alone.in israel there is only 100 users with sigma body.what do you think ?thank you all for your time and help

27. Uri, I know we’ve been over this before! :D But I would like you to know that when I have my wedding sessions I sometimes bring two cameras. The SD14/15 and a Canon 5DII. The 5D coupled with 24-70L and 100-400IS and the SD14/15 with an arsenal of lenses. This brings the best of two worlds together and I’m very satisfied with BOTH cameras performance.

The 5D works most of the time like a charm and I’m able to get shots that would be difficult with the Sigma. On the other hand, when I get a “nailed” shot using the Sigma – I often gasp of how nice it looks – on the other hand, if conditions isn’t perfect, then the Sigma is a pretty poor performer and the 5D brings images home – not as beautiful as perhaps the Sigma COULD have done in the best of worlds but still images that really do work wonderfully.

The SD15 brings the SD to a much higher level than before – but it’s still not as versatile as, say a top-canon or Nikon. You need to know what you’re after. :) And some of us do. The raw-image from Sigma being a bit like scanned images (Thank’s Rob!) – you need to work much more to get “that” but when you do, it’s awesome!

28. uri c says:

hello carl

sigma has that color punch that canon lake of.

and the feeling is different. a waited alot to see what change in the sd15 and i am waiting to get a review from you like you did in the sd14 in youtube. congratulations on your wedding.

when sigma is going to get a full frame sensor or at least canon bionet so people can buy the cam without selling there lenses.

i think sigma have a problem when it comes to develope the sensor.
    canon is about to release there first sensor with out AA filter and then sigma will have to work hard to nerrow the gap.

how it the sd15 regards with high iso 400-800 ?

how is that you get sd15 before everyone is sigma gave you one to review it? i thought maybe to do the same in isral because there is only 100 users here !

29. Manuel says:

so where are the high iso samples? movie mode?

i’d rather stick to my old sd9 and in addition buy a cheap backlit-sensor dslr from another manufacturer than spend money on an sd15.