A 5D duck.. Full size. (updated with RAW)

A 5D mark 2 Duck!
Developed using Lightroom 3 Beta 2 – Original sizeOriginal RAW

5d duck v2
Developed using Capture One 5.1.1 (noise red, off)  – Original sizeOriginal RAW

Canon 5D Mark 2 shot taken with the very good 100-400 IS and now, after some debating with myself, I tried more developers to see what would give the very best feeling for this shot. I used two developers that I think people use and you have them above. The RAW is also available if you want to try your way. Please leave your result as a comment. Now, Sigma. Please bring that SD15, or perhaps even that SD16 too? Look how bored I am. :)

320mm f5,6 ISO100 1/320s

This entry was posted in Adobe Lightroom, Canon, Full size, RAW and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to A 5D duck.. Full size. (updated with RAW)

1. Bob van Ooik says:

Hi Carl, did you try developing 5D files in RAW Developer? I found it produces much more lively and sharper results from the Nikon files than LR (even LR3 beta 2).

2. Ted Johnson says:

Outrageous detail. The water beads on the top of the ducks head are amazing. The feather detail is amazing. The bokeh is, well, OK. ;)

3. Bob, you think it’s not enough? :D I DID however try Raw Developer and results were quite different from Nikon files. None extra sharpness, Lightroom 3 Beta 2 does a very good job I think. I will try Aperture, but I’m pretty sure it will come out worse.

I could try some more developers as well but it takes more time than I have.. (need to find, install, learn, develop and …)

4. Bob van Ooik says:

Aperture is for Nikon for sure not sharper. More pleasing in colors than LR, yes that is true. Btw like the C1 processed shot much better.

5. I’m happy you liked the C1 process as it took some time to do, and I did it for you! :D

6. Matthias says:

You asked for it:
    [img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2732/4539007990_a24dd1de66_b.jpg[/img]

I do nearly all in 16:9, sorry for the duck :)

7. As I said, canon people tend to love those warmer tones. :D You would LOVE the SD9 back in the days. Thanks for your 16:9 version. Any comments on what you did and why? How?

8. And for others, use [img] and end with the same plus / to get any image of any size appear here, clickable! :)

9. Matthias says:

LR3 Beta2, Camera Neutral profile, Exposure +0,24, Blacks 7, Clarity +24, Saturation +29, something with the Tone Curve, crop to 16:9, export as Full HD and sharpen during export.

No idea why, just looking at the screen. BTW: viewed on flickr (and your blog) it’s looking really warm. It is much different when viewed in LR or Windows explorer… must be flickr or browser related.

Could you please try? Download the full size and view in Mac picture viewer (whatever it is called).

BTW I’m not a Canon man, I bought a SD14 when it was fresh (and expensive) because of your website :) When 5D2 came out I switched because of overall features and resolution (enough pixels to downsample to SD14 resolution). I still have the DP1. I’m following Sigma development, and maybe I switch back when SD20 is ready…

10. Hi Matthias, so perhaps you’re just one of those who like it warm! :D

I tried your settings – did you change temperature anything? It does look quite a bit different on my screen. (better).

11. Gus says:

Mr. Carl, the picture looks good I shoot canon, and yes I like warmer colors but in this case I think maybe bringing out the rich green and blues in the ducks feathers would look more lively.

Gus

12. Martin Carlsson says:

Nice Carl! I would be very happy if you can compare with Aperture 3 as well. Would be fun to see the difference! I’ve never done a compare like that so I have no clue :)

13. Here is Aperture 3’s version. I usually just adjust curves and sharpen. Most of the time I am very happy with the colors strait from my 5D and I see that the Mark II is no different!
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/duck.jpg[/img]

14. wojteh says:

hi – zapraszam do siebie na stronę http://www.wojteh.pl – SD14 i Nikon D700
    pleace visit my web http://www.wojteh.pl my photography make is SD14 and D700

15. Marc says:

No question the CaptureOne version looks way more 3D than the Lightroom version, I mean the duck is neatly detached from the background whereas the Lightroom version there’s some kind of flat ‘all-over’ look which kinda merges forgeground and background.

… oh well in the end everything depends on the individual settings and they’re all capable Raw developers but I always get the feeling that CaptureOne ‘models’ things in a more 3D way.

The only thing which I tend to dislike with CaptureOne is that it can blow out highlights quite quickly, even in your example it is true that there’s a harsher side to the way highlights are handled. C1’s contrast curve is quite aggressive out of the box. But there are a bunch of workarounds like the linear film curve, the HDR and clarity sliders.

You should provide us a download link for the Raw file so we can all toy around with the image and compare results ; )

16. Marc says:

Oops just saw there’s some links to the raw files already … hehe

17. Marc says:

Here’s a version processed with the linear film curve in C1, note the smoother roll-off in the highlights.

18. Marc says:

[img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/duck-1.jpg[/img]

19. Marc says:

Another one with Clarity set to -100 (soft) while boosting sharpening.

20. Marc says:

[img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/duck 3-1.jpg[/img]

21. Marc, very nice result – not really real none of them but since only I know, it really doesn’t matter. :D The “most” real one I think so far is my own Capture One try and my SD14 shot below. :)

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4515683697_5cff92cf54_b.jpg[/img]

Reality isn’t always as pretty.

22. Marc says:

‘Reality isn’t always as pretty’ seems to be a good adage for any aspiring photographer. So better be carefull with those razor sharp Foveon Pixels, you might cut yourself ;)

23. Marc says:

Or let me put it differently … look, you’re there high up north, far from everything … as a photographer you’ll never achieve anything … you’ll just continue your website ad infinitum and chant the merits of Sigma because you a. don’t have any significant clients, b. because of a. you’ll never be able to buy into serious camera gear … it’s a vicious cycle you’ll agree.

You’ll end up old reviewing semi-professional camera gear that you’ll test on semi-professional subjects having a semi-professional career and being (semi) moderately satisfied of your life. Why don’t you move to Stockholm and become an assistant to a professional photographer? There’s a good crop of swedish photographers which do singificant international work like Mikael Jansson, Ola Rindal, Ola Bergenren, Martin Vallin, there’s some great photographers agents like adamsky, cameralink and lundlund … better learn something instead of keeping on guessing around. You dream about doing a campaign for H&M? Well go on and do it! You can! You have a good eye. You just need the right credentials and contacts and the jobs will flow …

24. Marc, I cut myself plenty of times then. haha. :D I must be suicidal.

Also, thanks william for your Aperture 3 version.. Now what’s missing. Canons own developer? Anyone has it?

25. Thanks Carl, I have to admit that you and your work influenced me into buying a Sigma DP2. Seriously contemplating an SD15 as a cropped camera to go along with my Canon 5D. Keep up the inspirations!

26. Matthias says:

Hi Carl,

as requested, the Canon DPP version, all settings default.

I try to use [img] tags:
    [img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4543410715_5240a819de_b.jpg[/img]

27. Matthias, you should have ended with [/img] .. I fixed. :) Nice version, Canon DPP gives a neutral and nice result.

28. PSlide says:

Hi, nice shot, here is Kolev RAW (free R14) version, default settings, no sharpening, just histogram correction is on.
    [img]http://www.rytterfalk.com/wp-content/duck-2.jpg[/img]

29. Thanks PSlide. looks pretty different from then rest. You like using Kolev?

30. PSlide says:

Yes, I like it, especially raw interpolation quality and color noise-reduction.

Carl Rytterfalk: Thanks PSlide. looks pretty different from then rest. You like using Kolev?

31. Hans van Reemst says:

Hello Carl, Thank you for this wonderful photo of a duck: I was surprised by and very happy with all the detail. A joy to look at. As an art-director (magazines) I am not convinced about all the technical remarks: I don’t care too much about them: your photo is great. That’s where it starts.
    In my job I just choose for – well – the quality I see. One remark: For use in a magazine I would very much like to see the complete duck – in this case: I miss the feet. Anyway: I enjoyed this photo very much.