Develop black and white

A basic tour in how to produce nice black and white images with the help of Sigma Photo Pro. And in case I didn’t make myself clear in the video, no flash or strobes has been used in any of these images. Only halogen “flood” light, a 1000w of it – pretty bad really and therefor black and white is a really good solution. Also, camera used? Dp2. Surprise! :D

You made some successful attempts? Please add images to your comments. :)

This entry was posted in All, Apple Aperture, High ISO/ASA (400+), Movie, Sigma DP2, Sigma Photo Pro, Studio and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Develop black and white

1. Ted Johnson says:

Carl,

Thanks for the video. I love B&W and your tips will be helpful. One thing I do in Lightroom is to remove chromatic aberrations in color before B&W conversion.

Ted

2. Tom says:

Carl,

Thank you for posting this. I understand a bit better what SPP can do. The color wheel enables a kind of filter selection (red, orange, blue…) which seems easier and “try and see the result”, than mixing RGB in aperture monochrome mode for example.
    When SPP will provide croping/framing and angle correction (horizon line) I think it will do all that I need.

I was playing with some of your X3F files and SPP for about a year. I thought about a DP1 but I hesitated a lot because I never put my hands on it. As I entered the local shop asking about a DP, the salesman told me that “it is a piece of crap, buy Canikon G10, pana lx3 or an Oly EP-1 instead”. Of course I bought nothing as I have currently a LX3.

Now the DP1X is very appealing and I am curious about SPP4. Do not hesitate to tell us about SPP4 and the improvements/differences from SPP3.3 for mac.

@+
    Tom

3. Falem says:

Thanks for the video. Very helpful.
    See what the new 1.04 brings.
    How big the improvement on AF are.

4. Rafael says:

Thanks Carl for always sharing you knowledge! God bless you!

5. Saffron says:

What a great way to teach and share knowledge, it is just like looking over your shoulder, thank you Carl, that video was so helpful.

6. Richard Birket says:

Hi, and thanks for your tutorial. Really clear and helpful. I’ve been playing around with adding vigniette (spelling!!! aaahhhggg!) within SageLight. It seems a very nice program to me, and even better, it is cheap!
    Thanks again!

7. Manuel says:

Thank you very much for your effort, I appreciate it!

By, Manuel

8. Pedro Cotero says:

Thank you for the video Carl. Now I see what a wonderfull world of B/W can I create with just SPP. I always thought that for B/W pictures and low ISO’s I should use a Photoshop plug-in like Nik Software Silver Efex Pro or Alien Skin Exposure 2, but now I guess I won’t.

Have a nide day ;) or should I said night? (I’m across the ocean ha ha)