Nightly Mushrooms and DP2

Muchrooms DP2
DP2 ISO50, f2.8, 1/3s – Sigma Photo Pro + Apple Aperture (same to all photos below) Also, all these have their full size version on flickr.

I admit! I’m not a big fan of picking mushrooms but I LOVE to shoot them! Earlier today, Mom and Linn decided to go out. It was already quite some time after sunset and I’m not that keen on searching hard for something I can’t really see so I took my DP2 and Gitzo Explorer and went along (that way I could play with ANY findings, eatable or not). Also, I got some comments about Aperture so here’s a SPP developed and Aperture post processed series of mushy images. When I say dark I mean pretty dark. I’ll give you some exif info below each shot.

Another annoyance with late evening shots is what white balance to select. Light differ quite a lot depending on surroundings and I tried sunlight, shade, cloudy, auto – and went back.. It’s hard not to make it look warm and fuzzy even though you know it was pretty cold colors. Well, I settled for Cloudy in SPP. Except for the very first one (above) that one uses the sunlight wb.  Hope you like it!

Muchrooms DP2
ISO50, f4, 4s

Muchrooms DP2

ISO50, f6,3, 5s

Muchrooms DP2
ISO50, f2.8, 1/2s

Muchrooms DP2

ISO50, f2.8, 0,6s

Muchrooms DP2
ISO50, f2.8, 1/3s

Muchrooms DP2

ISO50, f6,3, 1,6s

Muchrooms DP2
ISO50, f2.8, 1,3s

This entry was posted in All, Apple Aperture, Full size, ISO50, Sigma DP2, Sigma Photo Pro, Twitter. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Nightly Mushrooms and DP2

1. Seng Merrill says:

Magical forest…just beautiful.

2. Thanks Seng, It’s an honer to have you around! :)

3. Daniel says:

Hi Carl!

Abolutely fantastic, superb composition and colors!
    All the best from Munich, Germany
    Daniel

4. Ted Johnson says:

Hi Carl!

On Saturday, Mary and I were at the Rhythm and Roots Cajun/Zydeco Festival in Rhode Island for a bit of dancing and music. I took the Sigma DP2 along to take some snaps, with the hope of an occasional decent shot.

My photography was average at best, but I was surprised by the amount of Sigma Envy I basked in throughout the day.

At each stage there were photographers, mostly using Canon DSLR’s with the 70-200 zoom in white (that combination is like a badge that says “I’m a serious photographer”). Well, in order to get close I had to get close, real close, and I naturally, but politely, pushed myself past the Canons. Man, did I get stares. Or rather my camera got stares. It’s a bit pimped out with the filter barrel and the lens shade, and the hulking, bug-eyed Voightlander VF. Also, the Franiec grip covers the Sigma label, so it’s BLACK!

But twice, while standing by the stages, 2 different photographers who were inside the lines (!) asked me to come back with them to get a better shot. One knew it was a Sigma and asked if it was a DP1 or DP2, the other simply asked what kind of camera it was. Both asked to take a look through the VF, and both asked what I thought of it. Although long conversations were difficult because of the volume of the music, both guys made it clear they thought it would be more fun shooting with the Sigma vs. their Canons.

Oddly, I thought if I were getting paid I’d take their 5D’s with the 70-200 instead, but that’s another story.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2561/3854282430_88acaf30b6.jpg[/img]

5. Richard Birket says:

Lovely DOF control with the mushroom shots. I have a DP1 myself so it will be difficult to get quite so up close and personal. My question is if you used a close-up filter of any sort on these shots in order to increase the OOF effect?

6. Hi Richard, no lens attached on any of these shots. But getting close makes a difference. :) I did use a lens on the other shots (newer mushroom post). On both DP1 and DP2.

7. Richard Birket says:

Thanks for that. I took a ‘mushroom shot’ of my own at the weekend in The Lake District (UK) using my DP1. I was actually very surpised and impressed how close I could get without any special close-up lenses.

8. Anonymous says:

Here’s one of mine:

9. birket says:

Mmm. Lets try this again:

10. birket says:

Oh well. It seems I am doing something wrong. I’ve tried a couple of times to upload a 600 pixel jpeg, but i am told it is a ‘disallowed’ file type.

11. birket says:

Third time…fingers crossed…

12. Birket, you got mail! Find me using iChat or Skype – my user name is always the same: Rytterfalk

13. paul says:

Is Aperture able to process DP2 RAW ? Somebody tell’s me not …
    Thanks.

14. paul says:

Ok, thanks.
    So, who do yoi think’s the best to process directly DP2’s RAW ?

15. paul says:

On mac of course …

16. solsang says:

Hi, truly funny i found this via facebook and was having the same mushroom dp2 experience two weeks ago, it simply feels natural to put the small camera on the ground next to the plants:)

Now since i have the lensmate and hoya 10x i have avoided the sigma closeup, though it gets really tempting looking at these shots

Do you see iso50 giving different results than iso100 at -1, i get tempted to leave dp2 at auto since its easier to change exposure than iso on that (on dp1 i had the zoom change)

And my newly repaired dp1 is collecting dust since dp2 showed me what magic its 41mm lens can do:)

17. Chris says:

I’ve got a virgin DP2 – it’s been dark since it arrived while I was at work yesterday. Like a kid waiting for Christmas. I stumbled across your work while waiting to the light :-) Thanks for sharing your experience and skill. A quick question: have you established an ideal ISO for signal to noise balance or is this less relevant with the foveon? I notice the Sean Reid seems to use iso200… though this might be because he zone focusses and needs a small aperture… Chris

18. Pingback: SD15 announcement | Carl Rytterfalk Fotografi

19. Raul Bautista says:

Hi Karl,

I just love these mushroom pictures!!! I am also a foveon fan and have been using the dp1 for sometime now. One thing I find difficult with the dp1 is focusing in low light, would you be kind enough to share your technique in shooting these mushrooms with perfect focus so in the dark?

Thanks.