Elinchrom Ranger Quadra | day 2.

Elinchrom quadra setup

Alright, I just got my umbrella replaced (got a one that didn’t fit and HAD to buy Elinchrom’s own – which is four times more expensive). grrr. Alright so I took some test pictures in my kitchen today – to see how good it could do with low power (there is two connections and the second one will give 8W to 135W – and that’s very cool for indoor use) – so here’s a before and after shot:

Elinchrom quadra day 2. Before Elinchrom quadra day 2. After
Original <– Do this!

And below you see the setup (you don’t see the power pack but you have it on the first picture in this post) – And power is not very high, remember I’m shooting wide open here at 2.8 just the way I like it and that’s not easy with any flash really. I guess it’s set at 2.2 – 60W output or something.. Not sure, not recorded in the exif. ;) All images taken with the Sigma DP2. Oh, you’re all so surprised! All pictures developed using ACR. ;)

Elinchrom quadra day 2.Elinchrom quadra day 2.
Original <– Not a bad idea!

With a little shorter shutter speed you get a slightly more flashy look, but still nice I think – perhaps because Linn is who she is! (she’s a bit flashy too you know).. Also I use the same technique with this flash as I did back with the “club photos” –  without a meeter you do need to take more shots to get good light. It does take time. Think I will get myself a little light meeter too. hmm..

Oh, and a last one of Linn posing like a movie star! (or kungfu panda or whatever) :D – Oh and here you also see the flash in action without umbrella or anything. It’s tiny! Elinchrom quadra day 2.

This entry was posted in Adobe Camera Raw, Flash, Full size, How to, Sigma DP2, Sigma SD14 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Elinchrom Ranger Quadra | day 2.

1. mijonju says:

Wonderful idea.. so crystal clear i can see her contact lenses

2. Scott Greiff says:

Very nice setup. Nice small heads. I agree on the clarity as well. Pretty spot on!

3. Clive says:

Carl, very nice that you have flash that you can use with so much subtlety. This fits your art.

Very nice to see some images of civilized living, also. I miss it here ;).

Greetings to Linn, whom it is also nice to see again. Definitely in character, each part showing so far!

Best to both,
    Clive

4. Pingback: Elinchrom Ranger Quadra | day 2. | Carl Rytterfalk Fotografi

5. spalbird says:

I don`t see a difference, sorry… Linn always shines, you have spoilt your money :DDDDD

6. Spalbird, You’re right! She is a bit Chiny, she’s born that way.. ;)

7. Carl,
    Elinchrom has always been different with a 7mm shaft. There are hundreds of non branded umbrellas that are made specifically for Elinchrom, so you don’t need to get a branded one. That said the Elinchrom one is better built.

8. james looker says:

Just a note to say you could use that Quadra head on a Manfrotto 013 spigot slotted into the top of most umbrella swivel/ stand adapters.

It doesn’t make much difference and you can actually angle the head into the brolly with more flexibility and less strain on those little Quadra heads.

9. Anonymous says:

nice , what is the light stand for the Ranger Quadra ?

10. Nasser says:

Nice , what is the stand light brand/model please

11. David says:

hi there
    im planning to take photography more seriously
    so i would like to buy a Elinchrom Ranger Quadra as system
    I have a canon xsi, and my question is what else do i need, besides the camera, for the Elinchrom Ranger Quadra | to
    work

12. tim driver says:

Really useful thanks – just deciding whether to go for a ranger or a quadra and this has helped convince me thanks

Tim

13. Ryuji Suzuki says:

I would rate the mechanical construction and durability of Elinchrom umbrella to be pretty low, regardless of the size and price. I’ve looked at all of them. Good strong umbrella are hard to find… that said, my favorite is Westcott Halo Mono 54″. Because of thicker-than-7mm shaft, you’d need an umbrella bracket to mount Quadra head, but it’s worth the trouble. Works great for environmental portraitures, fashion and headshots.

Sean McCormack: Carl,

14. Thanks for your review.
    I’m going to soon buy one to cover my weddings in French riviera because I need a very portative solution and the 400w would be enough. The only thing I dislike is the overpriced adaptater for softbox.

Alexis Borel