Quick guide, SPP save dialog.

I got emails from users asking me to show what to do to get images from SPP look the same on the web. So here’s the public answer. Note that I use gamma 2.2 on my Mac – I’ll make a another movie soon with a guide to better colors (info about Gamma and calibration). Tip! Select HD and click full screen for best viewing experience. Enjoy!

Get the latest Safari web browser for PC/Mac here.

This entry was posted in How to, ISO50, Movie, OS X, Sigma DP2, Sigma Photo Pro and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Quick guide, SPP save dialog.

1. Pedro says:

Hi Carl,

thanks for your howto
    I never noticed till now the differences of colours between Firefox and Safari will have to check it more often…
    I noticed by shooting in sRGB on the SD14 that when I save in AdobeRGB it tends to yellowish it :s strange… well I’ve sat up everything to sRGB now :p

By the way can’t wait to see your calibration howto, I am on a nice iMac24 and god how it burns my eyes even on low brightness…

One more time Thank you
    and see you soon

Cheers

2. cerement says:

For Firefox (at least v3+), you need to turn on color management – by default, it’s turned off :/ (and people have noted a performance hit when it’s turned on *sigh*)

Cambridge in Colour also has some nice tutorials on color spaces and gamut, the last one attempts to explain the concept that you’re using the same number of bits to represent colors: in wide-gamut colorspaces, the individual colors are spaced further apart allowing access to more saturated colors on the outside edge of the colorspace; in sRGB, the individual colors are spaced closer together, allowing smoother gradients (and better skintones).

3. seb says:

Hello Carl,
    Thanks for the how-to.
    i’m reading every new post on your very very good blog.
    Having a SD14 and a DP1, i allways convert the RAW with SPP in “auto” and then process de images in Lightroom.
    After reading your excellent articles, i begin to use SPP for RAW processing.
    SPP is not so difficult to use, but did you have some “tips” or “best practices” for SPP ? (the sigma user guide is not very usefull).

4. Rytterfalk says:

Cerement! Thanks a lot for the education and links! Had no idea that I could turn on color management in Firefox, tried to find an option inside thou but nothing. ;)

5. Bob van Ooik says:

Oh and btw, AdobeRGB export is broken in SPP for the Mac.

6. Bob, is it still like that? I thought they fixed that. bha. Okidok, then I know why colors looked off when comparing. But AppleRGB looks the same and colormatch too.

7. Bob van Ooik says:

Yep, looks like they still didn’t fix it :( All 3 other profiles work as it should only AdobeRGB not. Why it is still not fixed is really beyond me. I would have rather seen that they took it out before fixing at least.