Learning ACR with Bob van Ooik!

After much playing to fully understand ACR I realized that I better call Bob. Bob is not only a good friend of mine, he’s also a very good photographer and designer. In this video he’s showing us (me) how to start with a picture in ACR to get the best possible result. The picture is also availible as RAW so that you can play along. Download RAW now! (right click and save as)

Presented in 1280×720 HD and is best viewed in full screen and HD mode. Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Adobe Camera Raw, Full size, How to, Movie, OS X, RAW, Sigma DP2. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Learning ACR with Bob van Ooik!

1. Bob van Ooik says:

Carl, please change my name! Von should read van, that von sounds way too German :D

2. Pingback: Learning ACR with Bob von Ooik!- MakeaPost

3. On the run, but with iPhone in my hands nothing is impossible! :) should be ok now. Will fix YouTube too later.

4. Ted Johnson says:

Great exchange! Thanks Carl & Bob!

5. Ted Johnson says:

Bob, you didn’t mention the clarity tool. Do you use it?

I use it instead of the contrast tool to give a photo some pop. It also has a sharpening “effect” as well.

What are your thoughts?

6. Scott Greiff says:

This is great stuff, Carl. You and Bob should do a regular Sigma / Foveon podcast! :)

7. Scott, we might do that. This was a small step for man kind but a huge one for me and Bob. :D

8. Berryway says:

Aahh, I got it!

Now I will enjoy your lessons, parting with my photos.

Cheers, love this place.

9. Chunsum says:

This is so much fun!!!

10. Chunsum, you wanna be next? :D

11. Bob Dodds says:

I do not have ACR. I can generalize from this to use exposure controls first and not to lean on curves. Many other things are said, such as do not always sharpen. In gimp ufraw, the exposure settings are saved, which makes for a quick workflow on a series of images, with just a little blackpoint tuning. I have not been able to get cinepaint to work in linux yet. Setting black and white and gray in gimp, 8-bit, levels, after ufraw raw 16-bit plugin, is tricky(use b/w/gray in input and/or output? mix.) and not as good. vuescan is another linux option, and it can generate icc profile from coloraid.de card and then apply to dng’s but I have not tried that. I am not getting color consistency with diff lenses, so I may have to do icc vuescan step.

12. Great getting to hear you two interact over using ACR. It is always interesting to see how others use the knobs on this tool to get great results.
    Great collaboration! Keep it up.
    Paul

13. cerement says:

Definitely a few useful tips in there. And another great tip from Johan in the DPReview thread: DNG Converter 5.4 converts DP2 .x3f files so that they can be opened in Lightroom 2.3, no waiting for 2.4!

14. Ruvy says:

Thank you guys. This is a great use of technology and certainly very helpful too. Regardless of the above its fun to see you are enjoying the process and each other the way you do.

15. Bob van Ooik says:

Ted, I don’t use clarity too much. For it serves a different purpose than contrast. Contrast is there to alter the complete histogram, with clarity you enhance local contrast. As it can create some artifacts I am not a big fan. I like smooth continuous tones and with clarity it gets harder, more dirty or grungy. Simply not my style (at the moment). I do use it though a lot with the local adjustment brush. With clarity set to minus I use it to smooth skins. Mmm, maybe a subject for another video :)

16. Pingback: V-studio Blog

17. Ted Johnson says:

Thanks, Bob, for your reply. And thanks again to you and Carl for the video.

18. Pingback: I recorded this conversation | V-studio magazine