Production Sigma Dp2 arrived today!

three layer magic | Sigma DP2
Above shot is taken with the pre-production DP2. Monochrome wb. Full size.

Finally I got my hands on a real DP2 and no longer will I take pictures that could be different from what you would get with yours. I also got myself the view finder VF-21 and the hood adapter HF-21. The Hood is impossibly important because without it you can’t use filters or whatever you might need. View finder is nice for street type of work or when you wanna play cool and guess distans and use only MF. Like in the old days.

AND..

..new firmware is out for the Dp2 and Adobe CS4 now has full DP2 support – get camera raw 5.4. Some think it’s better, some think it’s worse than SPP. Will get back with my own tests a bit later (using my new darling!).

This entry was posted in Full size, Sigma DP2, Sigma Photo Pro and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Production Sigma Dp2 arrived today!

1. Berryway says:

You are yet faster! I will get my only in one week… Russia is still too far from western world. Still have some time for slide play.

Many luck in finding new views.

2. Ted Johnson says:

I played around a bit with CR 5.4. Definitely treats the X3F files differently than SPP. Less saturation/contrast and sharpness of the base converted file, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I still have a lot of learning to do with CR.

3. Bob van Ooik says:

cool! now with acr support I hope that lightroom support is just around the corner :)

4. One or Two says:

So, is it worth switching from Dp1 to Dp2?
    If yes could you please outline the pros.
    Cheers!

5. Stan says:

Hi Carl, it always be fun to view your images with X3. However, for this new toy DP2, did you find any battery issue. Mine one can only support around 60 to 70 RAWs for each fully charged battery. Any idea how to have this battery work harder?

Thanks :)

• Could be that you need to charge it some times before it really hits it sweet spot. It was like that with mine even if 60-70 RAW’s sounds very low. Perhaps you’re using AF a lot? I don’t.

6. Stan says:

Yeah, I got your first point. Maybe charge it deeply for 3 or 4 times would change the situation (This is my first round of charge). I’ll check that later.

The second one, yes, I’m using AF almost all the time. This battery round, I’ll try to use MF. My concern is by MF, the image quality might be compensated. I mean by MF focus could be not so precisely as AF does. Yeah, of cause, I need more practice on MF with F2.8 :)

• Ahh, you are one of those missing how to edit “magnified mode”. First enter MF mode. Second press OK button. Third press UP arrow. Now you’re in Magnified focus mode and it’s easy to focus! Did you do like this before?

7. Stan says:

This is a cool feature but for me, most of the target are on street and moving :) So it’s quite a challenge for me to use MF when shooting like this.

8. Ted Johnson says:

Stan,

The best option for you sounds like zone focusing. A a few out of focus shots, unfortunately.

9. Do you thing they will make an firmware for DP1 to include these picture profiles?

10. Stan says:

Hi Ted, thanks for the suggestion. I think that is the only option for street shooting guys like me. :)

11. beeant says:

Hello,

I just dropped my DP2 today from height about 10-20 cm..
    I put my DP2 on my bag and I didnt realize that it was inside my bag, so I just dropped my bag…

And now I noticed that when I shake my DP2 near by my ear, I can hear something like loosen screw…

If you shake your DP2 near your ear, can you hear that sound?

12. Hi Beeant, i have that sound too, so no worries. Have no idea where it comes from.

13. Ted, thanks for the heads up! Really great that they implemented a faster way to reach magnified view! :)

14. Piotr Nowak says:

Hi Carl and beeant,

I think this noise from the inside can be from the mechanism that allows camera to tell if you’re holding it vertically or horizontally. (I’m not sure if dpX has this feature but I suppose it has)

No worries :)

regards
    Piotrek

15. Piotr, I think you’re right because the DP2 does have that function. :)

16. beeant says:

ya, I thought so too…

thanks! I feel relieved now…