2 minutes exposures with SD14 explored.

bw 2min iso400 f5.6
I could hardly see anything thru the viewfinder, I could see the moon. the rest I had to guess. 2min exposure at more or less wide open at ISO400. I love the SD14 for long exposure black and whites. See full size on flickr.

82seconds iso400 - SPP
I’ve passed this tree many times daytime but never took a shot at it. It’s placed by the road (the road you see inside is bicycle road) and now and then a car was passing, giving light enough to fill the tree with life. It was very very dark. 82s at ISO400. See full size on flickr.

bw 122seconds iso50
ISO50 at almost 2 minutes. take a look at the full exposure to enjoy the great detail. It was windy and I’m amazed how still the grass was.. :) Used SPP for developing and Lightroom 2 for post. (darkening the sky and lifting the shadow some. See full size on flickr.

neighbors house. 31s at ISO400
I had to shoot my neighbors house, the moon was beautiful from behind and street lights brought life to the front. See full size on flickr.

tree bw 122s iso400 - Raw Developer
Was fooling around some with this tree and with this shot I was aiming for 2min exposure but didn’t make it. :) Developed using Raw Developer 1.8 (all others using SPP) 122s at ISO400. See full size on flickr.

This entry was posted in 10-20, Adobe Lightroom, Full size, High ISO/ASA (400+), ISO50, Raw Developer, Sigma Photo Pro, Sigma SD14. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to 2 minutes exposures with SD14 explored.

1. Erik says:

Great stuff!! Correct me if wrong, but I was under the impression that bulb mode in the SD14 couldn´t go longer than 30 seconds??!! How did you achieve this? So then, what is the longest exposure possible with DP1?

Thanks!

2. Hi Erik,

The SD14 can do 2 minutes (for all ISO’s) since a couple of firmwares. :) We did stack exposures a while back, writing Sigma about our success (They did notice before we approached) and they listened and took action. DP1 can do 15s for now. Hopefully they will change that as well. :)

to install latest firmware go to http://www.sigma-sd14.com

Sigma site says:
    [Ver. 1.07]

1. Exposure time of Bulb Mode is increased from 30 seconds to 2 minutes (It is only available when the camera is set to Extended Mode).

3. Lee says:

Hi Carl,

I like your photos.

By the way, the latest firmware version is [1.08] but I’ve heard of some problem in taking shots in the bulb mode with that version.

So don’t update your firmware to the latest one untill Sigma work out that problem.

4. HI Lee,

Just checked and my version is 1.08. But the 2min exposure update came with 1.07. I had no problems with long bulb exposures with 1.08.

5. Hi Carl

I sometimes experience that the images turn purple, on long exposures, when viewed on the LCD screen. Have you seen that too? It happens in artificial lighting. Maybe it’s because overexpose a little, to gain some shadow detail for later PP, but anyhow it shouldn’t turn purple…

I hope life is good to you;-)

6. Lee says:

Oh, really? … if it is true, then it will be a disappointing news to some SD14 users who have found some problems with 1.08.

This guy says if you continue to shoot using long exposure with 1.08, then you’ll be given subsequently much worser results. (http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=sigma_forum&page=1&sn1=&sid1=&divpage=13&sn=off&sid=off&ss=on&sc=off&keyword=%C0%E5%B3%EB%C3%E2&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=65099)

And this guy also questioned about the stability of 1.08. (http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=sigma_forum&page=1&sn1=&sid1=&divpage=13&sn=off&sid=off&ss=on&sc=off&keyword=%C0%E5%B3%EB%C3%E2&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=65434)

Did you check it by taking several shots continuously?

Anyway, I’m an ordinary person who have no idea of photography.
    Just enjoyed seeing your photos.

Thanks!

7. hi oliver!

I’ve seen the purple and also a green version but that’s only on the LCD, it’s a bug I guess but nothing is gone or destroyed when processed with spp, rd or lightroom.

8. Hi Lee!

I’ve seen no degration in final image quality that I know of. (i did find more purple / green previews coming up on lcd but they were perfect when processed) I did maybe 20 close to 2min exposures last night and they were all taken very close to each other.

But, one night is not enough. I’ll do some more and I’ll get back to this topic. Will try some osean shots soon.

9. Carl, I know its fine when developing, but it is a glaring bug, and makes it difficult to judge the exposure on the LCD, when it’s all washed out and purple;-(

Gotta trust my lightmeter then. But Sigma should fix it.

10. You’re right Oliver, it’s anoying but I do think that histogram comes out correct, not sure though. Oh, and the first preview that comes up after a shot looks correct, but the saved version. Is incorrect. Vierd bug!!

11. Yeah indeed. That exactly the way it happens here too. or a splitsecond it shows a correct preview, but then the saved preview is fucked up… Fucked up indeed;-)

12. Isiah says:

How are you keeping the shutter open for 2mins? Are you holding the button that long?

13. Tomas says:

Hi Carl,
    maybe stupid question but, what lens did you use for this great shots ?

14. Carl @ home says:

isiah, i use a shutter release cable from my sd9

Tomas, 10-20. Nothing extra except I tripod.

15. Jon says:

Carl, I recently purchased an sd14 and can’t seem to get the camera to do long exposures without physically holding the button down the entire time. I purchased the rs31 remote, but when I set the camera to use the remote, it seems to turn off the bulb setting. I know that you use a cable release, but if it requires the same remote setting (c1 or c2 or c3), then maybe you know how to get the camera to recognize the bulb setting too? Thanks for any help you may have.

16. Carl Rytterfalk says:

Hi Jon, the remote you’re referring too is incapable of doing bulb shots. I think cable release is the only way.. But I’ll check with Sigma to make sure this is the case. The C1 C2 ad C3 is just options if more cameras is used with more remotes.

17. Jon says:

Carl, thanks so much. I guess I have to get a cable. Rats.

18. Photographer says: