Sigma 50mm F1.4 Wide open!

Sigma 50mm f1.4 wide openSigma 50mm f1.4 wide open
The above shots are wide open – shot at F1.4 and processed this time with my good old favourite – Raw Developer. Not sure why I jump from developer to developer like this. Maybe I’m crazy. The next shot with the flower is more or less wide open, shot at F1.6 – I thought that maybe it would be easier to catch the yellow middle thingi if DOF was a bit wider. hehe. A tenth of a millimetre or so.

The more I shot with this lens the more I realise that it’s more tricky than with the 30mm – DOF being even narrower and it’s sometimes painful to try go find perfect focus. When you got it it’s rewarding but don’t expect it to be a walk in the park – more a walk on the moon. (you do make touchdowns now and then..)

These are also sharpened in Raw Developer a bit more than I normally do – it’s needed as 1.4 is loosing sharpness compared to f1.8 and above. Still it’s quite amazing lens. And getting back to the weight of the lens. the SD14 + battery pack + 50mm 1.4 lens is a very good looking package and well balanced – easy to hand hold! I will soon post a shot of myself with it as soon as Gerhard Joren (who took it) send it to me. Until then enjoy these shots.

Click each for a full resolution version.

Sigma 50mm f1.4 wide open

This entry was posted in 50mm 1.4, All, Full size, Portraits, Raw Developer, Sigma SD14. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Sigma 50mm F1.4 Wide open!

1. sgalke says:

wow!! like it. maybe it is a “must-have”.

2. Definite beauty of a lens!! Still thinking is it worth getting though since I have the 30mm… Hmm.. Will have to think about it! Thanks for the samples Carl!

3. Larry Carter says:

What a classic piece of glass and it’s not even available here. A must have.

4. Oh Wow that is some creamy bokeh Carl. This might end up being my new favorite lens.

5. spalbird says:

Do you miss the Katz Eye split screen on the SD14? I think I do…

6. Spalbird, I never had a Katzeye – but I’d like to install one. :D

7. spalbird says:

The screen on the SD14 is certainly better than on the SD10, larger and brighter. Sometimes I have the feeling it works as well as the split screen on the SD10. The split screen gives you much more confidence for correct distance setting, but unfortunately in very low light it is not much help. My experience is that it works great with the 18-125, with the 30mm the shallow focus is in order of the thickness of the split line, and contours get tiny fast. I am sure everything becomes more relaxed with a full format X3F sensor…

8. Myga says:

…. i had to look for my jaw under my desk after seeing this. The first photo is just amaizing. SD14 makes it so easy to operate in shallow DOF. I can only dream to have such efects on my 40D. If only it would be less grainy on higher ISO-s it would the be best camera :}

9. Rudy says:

Pic’s are great. Had a 50-150 2.8 which was awesome however sold my Canon 40D and all lens to switch back to Nikon D300 and 18-200 lens. Can’t wait for this lens to become available at B&H. I’m on their notify lists. I foresee magnificent portraits of my grandchildren with this lens.

Rudy

10. Andy says:

This is quite impressive. Would like to see some full frame samples though. I’m hoping the edge and corner sharpness on FF is better than the 30mm 1.4 on a crop sensor. The main criticism of the 30mm is the poor edge performance which doesn’t improve when stopped down.

11. Carl on the phone says:

hi Andy! If you click any of these images the full resolution image from the sigma sd14 will apear. If it’s not then go to my Flickr page. http://Www.flick.com/Rytterfalk

If you want to see how the will look on a 12mp camera then resize and it will at least tell you something.

12. Andy says:

Hi Carl, what I meant was a camera with a full frame sensor e.g. canon 5d, 1Ds3, nikon D3 etc. but I guess you would need a different lens mount to try that?