DP1 movie school.. movie.

Listen carefully in the end and together with this movie you can go and create your own great DP1 epic thing. AEL + WB + Close focus + ND = great stuff!

2. Move camera around and press AEL (lock exposure) when you think you got a good overall working exposure. Sky skin should be ok.

3. Press the “Focus” button (one time up on the four way dial on the DP1) this gives you close up mode or Macro mode (focus is now about 30-40cm from camera)

4. It helps to have a ND grad filter ready. Most occasions are perfect for this, makes a nice moody feeling. Very much used by the film industry. You can of course try different colors etc .

5. If you attach a polarizer it gives even more dramatic feeling to your movie. Deep nice colors with cool skies and less sweet in faces. If you have the wrong size you can hand hold it. haha

6. Upsize your video using “super resolution” with Video enhancer software (free 30day trial). PC only. I use VM-ware to run it on my Mac.

You don’t need a close up lens. I don’t have one. I will try to find one though. :D Film in macro mode MUST be cool!

This entry was posted in How to, Movie, Sigma DP1. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to DP1 movie school.. movie.

1. Pingback: Media Districts Entertainment Blog » DP1 movie school.. movie.

2. So, let me get this straight, you lock the exposure and white balance when you shoot movies with the DP1? You lock the WB to the dominant light source? In this case did you set it to daylight? Do you then just get a general exposure setting and just have it locked there and then just deal with the variations you might run into as you pan around the scene? Which close-focus adapter do you attach to the camera? Does autofocus track as you shoot or do you lock that as well?

3. Pingback: Movies » DP1 movie school.. movie.

4. 1. Lock white balance to dominant light source (or whatever you want) in this case “sunlight”

5. dc says:

320×240 is kind of paltry, but I’ll be damned if that isn’t a fine-looking movie mode. Such color! Such liveness! I think you’re right that it’s the depth of field that really makes it.

6. Dc, it’s even less resolution to start with. 320×212. With that in mind, it’s amazing quality. :D

7. Carl Anthonisz says:

wow, yeah these images look amazing. i think the lens quality is a huge factor here, there may not be much resolution in the video file but there is a lot in the lens if that makes any sense.
    they should cut down the framerate from 30 to 24 and then boost the resolution as much as they can for the dp2.

8. Yan says:

Hi Carl, Great website and photos!
    Sorry this is a bit off topic, just got the DP1 and when taking shots of illuminated objects (led power switches), red light comes out as magenta and blue light as cyan yet in the same shot a red object will appear correctly. What am I doing wrong?

9. Jamie says:

Hey Carl,

1st a big thanks for publishing your adventures with the DP1. It’s nice to see someone using the camera the right way, rather than lots of pixel peeping and arguments on internet forums. Anyway yesterday I succumbed and bought a DP1 here in London. Aside from the awesome ability to have slr quality photos in a small package, I also really loved your videos and the depth of field one gets with them. Kinda remind me of old super 8. Anyway I was just wondering if you could share your movments after importing video onto your mac, i.e. what programs you use to edit, what movie formats you save as, where you upload etc. Thanks alot!
    J

10. Pingback: to

11. spalbird says:

Finally a substitute for the 10 christian commandments :)

I wonder whether it is and in which situations it is allowed to break the rules?

hehehe

12. Matteus says:

nice quality.. nice colors.
    the dynamic range of this sensor makes all consumer class video scamcorders look like total crap

13. Linh Mai says:

hey Carl, thanks for the inspiration and the informations about the sigma and foveon world, you have a great website. I have read your articles with huge interest and decided to make my own photo blog, especially about the DP1. If you like, visit http://www.lensmai.com

14. don rademacher says:

Carl,
    I am wondering about the feasibility of buying an SD 15 body and using it with Pentax and Takumar lenses that I have.
    Do you have any knowledge of K-mount to SA-mount adapters? I have a pretty sizable number of those lenses and would like to use them with a Sigma body. Any information or advice? Thanks, Carl.
    Don