Snow! DP1 OOF and SD speed.

Cold day with DP1 - oof test

I love the control over the picture that the DP1 gives me. I’m the King and the DP1 my slave. Just as I want it to be. :) Now, last morning I woke up with snow outside – I live in Sweden and normally this is normal – but years have become warmer and snow a rare sight. I took some shots more or less to test how nice bokeh the DP1 have – walking the dog.

Btw, as someone said at the forum already – turning off quick preview makes the DP1 faster between shots. And I also tested a normal SD card that came with another camera – it’s SOOOO SLOW! It really takes ages. So please. Use fastest card you can find, it’s a huge difference!

Timed save times RAW (light blinking):
SanDisk Extreme III 4GB: 2.5s
Canon SD SDC 32MB: 10s

Time before you can take another shot (single mode): 3.8s and quick preview off.
(As soon as it start to save to your card, you can take another shot) but you can’t change exposure etc during the “save” time so fast card is very important for the overall feel. If you try the camera make sure you have a fast SD.

Cold day with DP1 - oof test

This entry was posted in Full size, Sigma DP1, Sigma Photo Pro. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Snow! DP1 OOF and SD speed.

1. Christian Odelmalm says:

Fint! Tog du hundbilden på Flickr med manuell fokus?

2. EDIT: Ja, den är manuellt fokuserad och jag tittade på displayen. :) misstog mig om vilken bild du menade. Jag har en till som är nära och som jag inte lagt upp.

ja, jag satte den på 40cm och tittade inte på LCD’n. Stog brevid och tryckte till. :) Bra med ratt som säger avståndet.

3. spalbird says:

Buh, I don’t believe that: “I’m the King and the DP1 my slave”. Allow me the question, why do you treat your SLAVE like a QUEEN? :D :D :D

4. Dear mr Rytterfalk,

As I am in strong doubt beteen DP1 and Olympus E-420 I would like to ask you your opinion on the following matter concerning shot to shot time.
    As I am taking lots of pictures of my children it seems important to me that I can shot very fast after each shot in order to not miss this “best smile” or “best look” as they are not posing but flying all over the place. Taking lots of shots makes the deal here.
    If I imagine 2-3 second between shots with the DP1 and less than a second with the Oly I could believe this faster shot to shot time could be a important feature for me. What is your opinion about this.

Best regards

Bert Rietveld from Holland

5. Hi Bert!

In your case I’d say go for the E-420! To have continues AF is very useful if you wanna shot kids in motion. :)

But the “best smile” thing – I don’t think it would matter too much those extra seconds. Back in the film-days people got great smiles without todays speed. And don’t forget you do have continues mode on the DP1 – that’s three RAW’s within a second! then you wait 12s for the next burst. But I bet it will feel slow compared to the E-420. :)

Good luck with your choice!

// Carl

6. Hallo Carl,

Thanks for your honest reply. What is your general opinion about the E-420 ? It will fit into a coats pocket and most probabley a wide angle pancake will be out in the future. Apart from portability what would you make choose between them ?

Regards
    Bert

7. Pingback: DP1 Processing and Write Speeds « My DP1

8. JD says:

Hi Carl and Bert,
    Carl: Thank you for the great DP1 info contained on your site, it really looks to be a splendid camera :-)

Bert: for those “best smile” shots I find myself often using RAW JPEG on continuous mode to take 3-5 shots in succession on my E-510 and E-410. The responsiveness is excellent and sometimes those extra shots really make the difference for me. The buffer is fast enough that you can still have quite a few frames “in reserve” after that first burst too.

An example of E-410/E-510 “best shot” taken from a burst:

NOTE: I DO recommend a fast focusing lens, focus wise 12-60mm is superb, 14-42mm is suprisingly okay. But they do sometimes slow down in low light.

IMHO a slow focusing lens really negates the importance of continous mode… it sucks to either have (a) an out of focus shot -or- (b) shots AFTER the “best smile”. Slow focusing often causes both A and B for me :-(

For coat-pocketability, I wouldn’t recommend the E-410/E-420. It takes me some time to get it out of a pocket/bag and so I usually carry it via the neckstrap.

For true pocketability I personally prefer a smaller camera (DP1 would be nice, but SD800 is fine for my spur of the moment shooting ;-) Carl can probably tell you more on this than me.

PS I didn’t mean to turn this into an Oly thread, but I felt you asked a really good question and that Carl provided some good info!

9. JD – Thanks a lot for your info, and the beautiful shot you provided. specially with full size and all. I don’t mind lots more info on other cams. I love shooting with everything and I do believe that with the right mind you can make everything shine!

Your comment was found in my SPAM spider net so it took a while for it to come out in the light. :) Sorry about that.

10. To Bert, I need to test the E420 myself to be able to give you more. I will attend a big photo fair soon showing some pictures made with my SD14 / DP1 and I will try the E-420 for sure! Hope they have it. :)

11. Thanks guys for you very helpfull info.
    JD do you think the 14-42 kitlens is good enough not to make you want to buy the 20-54 immediately ?
    As far as the DP1 is concerned I think this is a fantastic start for a new era on digital pocket camera`s . Applause for SIMGA.
    It`s only that for every camera you need to ask yourselve ” what do I use it for and does the tool fits those needs” In my case I need something with faster shot to shot .

Regards

Bert

12. Paul says:

I really like the 1st photo with the weight on the line and the blurred house in the background.

Is this what’s meant by the dp1’s shallow field of view?

And if so, how close do you have to be to the foreground item to get the background to blur?

Thanks, and keep up the great site…

Paul.

13. Mattis says:

Thanks for the many unsurpassed imputs on this camera! I’m also about to order a Dp1, and against the odds on the availability I hope to get one in the end of the month. One of my concerns is still the speed and what SDHC card to buy with the camera.

Said Karlsson mentioned in his blogg that he used the Panasonic 4GB SDHC card and that it was performing slow. I was actually thinking of buying a Panasonic SDHC card after reading the following speed test of the Dp1 – here it seems like that would be the fastest choice, faster that Sandisk Extreme III indeed?! Do you have any other info on the Dp1 and SDHC speed that I might have missed?
    Thankful for any thoughts on the subject.

M

SDHC Speed test: DP1

14. John Wilkinson says:

Your site is a great source of information about the DP1 and was the main factor in my decision to buy one. It has proved to be a delightful camera for its picture quality and its tiny, silent, footprint.
    In full manual mode (presetting focus, WB, with Quick Preview off and using a Class 6 SDHC card) time between shots is not too bad for my style of street photography. I’ll live with the occasional lost 2nd shot.
    The DP1 is almost a digital Leica. If only I was Cartier-Bresson!!
    Have you noticed the DP1’s shutter is fully electronic? I mean it doesn’t have any mechanical parts so far as I can tell. Try pressing it to your ear with say a 2 or 3 second exposure. Just silence.
    I wonder when this technology will be used with DSLRs?
    Best-
    John

15. Rytterfalk says:

John, Thanks for the kind comment. :) And about the shutter, there is something similar to central shutter I believe because I can sync with flash at any speed (VERY VERY useful). On the Sigma homepage it says “Electronically controlled lens shutter” whatever that means. :) Also you hear a tick sound when taking a picture.

This type of shutter is OK only if you’re okay with EVF (electronic view finder) which i think you don’t want. In an SLR you need to have a mirror type shutter and you can’t have both. Well, future might tell a different story.

16. John Wilkinson says:

The term, “Electronically controlled lens shutter” covers most cameras these days in the sense that even a mechanical shutter is timed and initiated electronically.
    Regarding the shutter tick sound, I turned mine off: SETTINGS MENU 12 of 18. I did the same for key sounds MENU 11 of 18.
    Then I chose a long exposure time, 4 seconds, and fired the shutter with the camera pressed hard to my ear. This way the noise of moving my fingers etc. would have finished and I could wait in silence for the shutter to close. I heard nothing at all.
    I conclude that the camera’s Foveon sensor is always open to light (provided the lens cap is off!!) and the exposure is achieved by “gating” its output electronically. As a result I am not surprised flash synchronises at all speeds.
    I suppose I ought to rethink the reasons, if any, why I might not want an EVF on a camera. Main advantage on my Sony A100 is that I can look through the viewfinder without switching the camera on and draining the battery.
    My second full day with my DP1 has been very productive and I’m also pleased that Adobe Lightroom V2.4 reads the “.X3F” without trouble.
    Best-
    John

17. John Wilkinson says:

*** C O R R E C T I O N ***
    I rechecked my “test” with the shutter on long exposure and you’re quite right about a tick sound. That’s a good description of the noise the shutter makes when closing. The opening is different; a sort of faint whoose.
    Both are very quiet and I missed them due to a combination of environmental noise and, maybe, earwax!!
    Please accept my apologies for contradicting you own careful observations.
    I wonder what kind of shutter it is then? A 2000th of a second seems too fast for a Compur-type inside the lens. However, a focal plane wouldn’t synchronise with flash at that speed…
    Best-
    John

18. Carl at home says:

John, No apology needed! I think I see a leaf circle type of thingi when looking into the lens, oh well. Will ask Sigma and find out the truth about this. :)