Upsize DP1 video, Said and GRD’s.

HD video with DP1

480p version. 640×480
720p version. 960×720
Original version. 320×240

What does a 320×240 resolution DP1 video look like when upsized to 480p and 720p? That question has been on some peoples mind and one reader took action and made two versions of the above video. Resized by Dik Hoek with something called “super-resolution”.

“Super-resolution” is a term for a set of methods of increasing image or video resolution. All these methods are based on same idea: using information from several images to create one upsized image. These methods try to extract details from one frames to reconstruct other frames. This approach differs a lot from some sophisticated image upsizing methods which try to synthesize artificial details”. – To get your hands on a 30 day trial version of the software doing this – Click here!

And I can just say, Wow! It really works and it does look awsome! Sure, pixalation etc but it looks very cool indeed and using this you can cut together movies much easier in software such as Adobe premiere and Final cut without coming out with lower resolution video. (useful to take away the hi pitch “cut” sounds) I use the video-part of the DP1 quite often and results are very good. I really love the feeling it gives – something super8 like. :)

What’s next? Said Karlsson’s
Second impressions of the Sigma DP1

He’s another DP1 user that doesn’t come from the world of SD-cameras. He is a professional photographer and journalist – he’s mainly using his Canon 5D but been waiting for something to replace his Ricoh GX100. Said is now an DP1 owner and reading his blog is very interesting as it gives a little different view then the one from me. :) – But maybe best of all, he’s really good with the camera.

Image by Said Karlsson
Photo and copyright: Said Karlsson

And more from the east: Euyoung’s Soliloquy..

We have a Ricoh GR fan site that have tested the DP1 against the Ricoh’s – it’s in Chinese but interesting. Especially the part where they compare out door, real life images between GRD2 and DP1. Go, check it out.  (The good and bad thing about visiting a Ricoh fan site is that they’re really not trying to hide any flaws. :)

Ricoh GRD2: (copyright Euyoung’s Soliloquy)

Sigma DP1: (Copyright: Euyoung’s Soliloquy)
image belonging to GRD fan site mentioned above.

More to come..

This entry was posted in Full size, Link, Movie, Review, Sigma DP1. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Upsize DP1 video, Said and GRD’s.

1. Said says:

Thank you for the nice comment and link!

2. Both you and Said Karlsson are doing an excellent job. The DP1 is a very compelling camera and could be a perfect upgrade for my Ricoh GX100.

3. spalbird says:

Thanks for the upscaled video samples. They are good, but we know the Foveon chip could be even better, starting from a native image with more pixels :)

I enjoyed looking the the DP1 samples from Said, and his opinion about the DP1 is of interest.

4. Alex says:

If you’re just upscaling to 640×480, YUVsoft has a free super resolution application that’s perfect for the DP1’s video files:

5. It’s too bad that none of these “super resolution” softwares are made for Mac. Or is there? I’m using final cut pro today and letting it do the upsizing but I know it can be done better.

6. Martin says:

I know that Foveon images can be upscaled a lot better but it’s still unbelievable how good the upscaled 640×480 video sometimes look. It has a cinematic, clear and warm feel to it. Please, please SIgma give us a bigger movie mode! It was one of the first things I’ve noticed in Foveons datasheet many years ago, the sensor pixels can be grouped together to deliver lower rez video. If I remember correctly it’s called VPS or so. Since then I’m waiting for a great Photo/Movie camerawith Foveon sensor. Sigh.

One question though why is there always a black border at the bottom. Actually the video height from the DP1 is smaller than 240 pixels isn’t it?

7. Carl says:

Martin, you’re correct. It’s called VPS and it’s used for MED and LOW resolutions too. I’m pretty sure they use this when making videos. The true resolution is 320×212 if I remember correctly and I guess that’s something to do with “16:9″ view which in my mind isn’t very helpful. Would prefer to have the whole view or 3:2 as option.

8. Martin says:

I agree although movies in 16:9 format look a lot better at only 320×240 every single pixel counts :-)

I don’t want to be picky but 16/9=1.7 and 320/212=1.5 so there must be another reason for this strange format. Also Sigma speaks of QVGA 320×240 in it’s technical specifications. Anyway that’s not so important.

9. Martin says:

Just noticed that 3/2=1.5 so you already have your 3:2 option. Isn’t SIGMA great? ;-)