Sigma DP1 – day 2. Battery / film test.

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO800

I decided to see how good the battery was and how much juice I could squeeze out before dead – It’s not a perfect test but a real world sort of version. I manual focused more or less 99% of the time – I did try some AF shots but decided that manual focus was a bit more cool. I’m sure that AF + no LCD would give you lots and lots of more shots.

I turned off the camera very often. I’m not sure if that’s draining or some, but I guess that there is a good sleep mode that could have worked instead. Of course I looked and showed everyone around me so lots of peeking done.

Result? I have a total files of 182. Among those is 26 movies, 3 audio recordings and 151 RAW files. No Jpegs. Sorry, have a hard time getting used to the ability to shot JPEG’s since my early days with the SD9/SD10.. :) And camera is fast with RAW so there is no reason not to use it.

Movie clips direcly from the DP1:
DP1 video DP1 video DP1 video
DP1 video DP1 video

Now to some of the images: All hand held. Click for full size.

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO200

DP1 ISO800 - bad light take 2
ISO800 (redeveloped)

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO100

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO100

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO400

mixed Sigma DP1

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO100 + EF-140 DP1 flash. TTL-mode.

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO100 (shaky – should have used higher)

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO100

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO200

mixed Sigma DP1
ISO100

This entry was posted in 16.5mm, Flash, Full size, High ISO/ASA (400+), Movie, Portraits, Sigma DP1, Sigma Photo Pro. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Sigma DP1 – day 2. Battery / film test.

1. Pingback: Media Districts Entertainment Blog » Sigma DP1 - day 2. Battery / film test.

2. Pingback: Sigma DP1 - day 2. Battery / film test.

3. Thx again for the next insight into the DP1 Handling. Especially, as i was told yersterday, that in germany there will be no “hands-on” testings from the DP1 for interested, prof. Users…. i want it in my hands ;-)

Greetings from Germany

Benjamin

4. Raist3d says:

I would love to see some low light shots without flash, at ISO 400/800 in color…

– Raist

5. Bruno says:

Hi,
    the movie ok, but I got it striped: I do not know why. As for the pictures, fantastic. Where is possible to get one for me to make a review on my website http://www.testiweb.com ?

All the best
    Bruno

6. Carl says:

Bruno, sure you can use my photos – please link to my website and the article from where it came.

7. Bruno says:

I was meaning “where to have a DP1 sample (the camera)” to shoot around as you have done so well.

8. Ahhh.. Bruno. I see. :D Well. Not sure who to ask. You must have a Sigma office / dealer in your country? (Spain / Italy)

9. Pingback: Movies and Film Blog » Sigma DP1 - day 2. Battery / film test.

10. spalbird says:

Apparently the sound quality is very good. Now I wonder how good the videos can be upsampled… With wide angle video shaking to and from the object gives a very amusing sight on Linn :D

11. Lemuel Ragasa says:

i can live with a short battery life on the dp1.

dp1 might have worked for me if the ir cut-off filter was screwed-in infront of the lens.it looks like they designed it to be inaccessible unlike in the sd-14.

what do you think?

lemuel

12. Hi Lemuel!

Is that short battery life? I thought it was quite good. :D and yes, I think this cam is no made for IR photography like the SD14.

13. Pingback: Sigma DP1 Day Two More Pictures and Images | Darrell Nece

14. wolfie says:

Hi Carl – just interested in your comments on the battery life. Does the DP1 have a screen mode for just showing the exposure settings (like on many DSLRs now) without a live view running? Regards, Wolfie

15. Hi Wolfie. No, not yet. Do you think it should have?

16. hi carl
    do you have already a good panorama in your mind?
    where is sitting the cable-release plugin?

michael przewrocki(pschewrozki)

17. laurent says:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your feedback on this long awaited camera, on the paper the dp1 is not really the perfect compact digicam I hope to have one day but it’s getting close… and thanks to your pictures sample I know how good the image quality could be.
    I have two questions for you:
    – Can the dp1 display the histogram at shoot time ?
    – Can you post an sample raw picture ? I would like to test it with dcraw.

18. Hi Laurent!

No, there is no live histogram, only a dead one. I guess they’re saving some goodies with firmware upgrades. (they did change a lot on the SD14 that way). But you do get a good feeling for exposure on the LCD.

I will post some RAW very soon. You will need Sigma photo Pro 3.1 (Mac) or Sigma Photo pro 2.4 (PC) and you can’t use any other raw developer yet. They have made significant changes to the raw format.

19. Hi Pschewrozki!

No, there is no cable release available right now that I know of.

20. Pingback: Sample Photos Coming Online « My DP1

21. hmm says:

Why is it green at the half of the screen on all the movies?
    Why is the asian girl so damn cute?

22. Hi Hmm! Half green effect!

It’s because you play thru VLC – try Quicktime and everything will look much much better! The Asian girl is MINE! :D that’s why!

23. Pingback: Sigma DP1 first impressions | ppause

24. dysfonkshenol says:

The sound and IQ are strong, but the green corners (specially on the right side are VERY disappointing.. Is it me or could this green edge be detected even in the photos??

25. dysfonkshenol says:

OOps, I meant the green specially on the LEFT side. And I think one can almost see it in the last picture sample provided.
    I have ordered my DP1 already and am now worried about this color artifact!

26. mostafa says:

hi carl i am sort of new to photography and i would love to owe a dp1 i know the dp2 is out but as a beginner and due to the price difference i will go for te dp1.i am already in love with the camera but my biggest fear is the slow response from shot-to-shot and the saving time of files.also i would like to know your opinion about shall i get dp1 now or wait till i get a dp2.
    very nice work and excellent photoes

27. Pingback: A Sigma DP1 Story « Oddly Together

28. jacky boy says:

Dear Carl
    Does the battery and power grip of SD14 compatable to SD1?

Thanks!

29. Anonymous says:

Oops, wrong place. sry :$

30. Jacky Boy, Maybe – SD14 and SD15 worked so why not. :) But the new body is slightly bigger so perhaps not.

31. Pingback: A Sigma DP1 Story « 5 minutes with Joe