Apple Quicklook X3F plugin!

Jeff Sickel has just finalized the long awaited X3F Quicklook plugin. The plugin makes it possible to see the full embedded JPEG in the Sigma SD14 RAW file and with the spacebar you quickly zoom in and you can without opening any software decide if it’s a keeper or not. Extremely useful!  I made a quick movie to show you what it looks like.[flv:http://www.rytterfalk.com/movie/x3f_finder.flv 500 375]

From Jeff: Version 1 of the QuickLook plugin is now available at http://corpus-callosum.com/software.html or just click X3F_Utilities_v1.0.dmg

Look doesn’t turn off when you plug in your SD14, so you will see thumbnails showing up on the USB disk when you plug in your camera.

As an added bonus, there’s a Spotlight importer as well. You can now get basic details from a terminal command like `mdfind “kMDItemISOSpeed == ’50′”` to find all the images with an ISO speed of 50. Very use full with additional Spotlight tools. After indexing a X3F RAW image, you can look at the data with the command `mdls FILENAME.X3F`.

This entry was posted in Apple, Developed with:. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Apple Quicklook X3F plugin!

1. Pingback: Apple » Apple Quicklook X3F plugin!

2. Myga says:

Wooow :D That’s a speed! Great plugin :D

3. Genro says:

Great plugin!! Thank you very much

4. Pingback: Apple Quicklook X3F plugin! | speed camera

5. Pingback: Fun with coffee.. at Carl Rytterfalk Fotografi

6. WOW thats what I was looking for … now I cant wait to get my new Mac… :-D

7. Jeff says:

Updated to v1.1–supports PPM thumbnails from SD9 and SD10 cameras http://www.corpus-callosum.com/software/packages/X3F_Utilities_v1.1.dmg

8. George says:

Hi Everybody,

great to see, that there is a good tool for preview. But I´m still not able to have a preview of my SD 10 X3F files. What exactly is to do after the download of the v1.1 disc image?

Thanks a lot in advance,

George

9. Rytterfalk says:

Hi George!

When opening the .DMG file you will have some instructions in a TXT file.. this is what it says

INSTALLATION:

Simply copy X3F.qlgenerator into ~/Library/QuickLook for your user or
    /Library/QuickLook for all users of your computer. Thumbnails and previews
    should then be available for all .x3f files. If the do not display immediately
    after the install, either:

– type `qlmanage -r` in a Terminal session or
    – relaunch the Finder
    – reboot to force reload the QuickLook generators

10. Pingback: Recent URLs tagged Mdfind - Urlrecorder

11. Jeff says:

George,

If Carl’s last instructions still don’t help display anything, could you send me an email with details about your SD10 X3F files, maybe even a sample image or two (my email can be found on the public source code repositories for the X3F utilities, http://hg.corpus-callosum.com/).

There are a few subtle differences in the X3F format for each camera and it may take just a small update to get the Spotlight and Quicklook plugins working.

That reminds me: the Quicklook plugin does depend on Spotlight metadata being collected for each X3F file. If you have Spotlight turned off or not indexing a particular file system, then Quicklook will not be able to display the thumbnail/preview of the file.

(Note, the PPM thumbnails pulled are not as detailed as the JPEG images from the SD14 generated X3F files).

12. Jeff says:

There’s a new version of the X3F_qlgenerator out that now uses x3f_extract. It handles the DP1 X3F files significantly better than earlier versions (a plus), and keeps the same orientation enhancements from v1.2. Thanks to Carl’s RAW DP2 Pack, I was also able to verify that Quicklook handles the DP2 files rather well (now I just have to get my hands on a DP2). Enjoy,

13. lee morris says:

Thanks Carl… Great plug-in, really helps with my workflow..

Cheers Lee

14. Roberto says:

Greetings to all,
    actually this mail is aimed at Jeff, I have been using this wonderful plugin and I am wondering if it could be modified to display also thumbnails for DNG files created from X3F files. You all know that apple does not support Foveon and DNG files created from X3F files are ugly white icons.
    Best to all.
    Ciao
    Roberto

15. Peetu says:

Damn I have been this kinda plugin for ages!! Finally I found one and it rocks!!

16. Mister Melodico says:

Hi,
    This is a great extension.
    Apple is still too lazy to develop it. Even in Aperture 3 there´s no x3f import. Do you see a chance to develope a plugin for Aperture?

All best
    MM

17. Momby says:

Apple doesn’t support one of the best Raw-files on earth.
    The quality of my Sigma-photo’s is above my Canon-photo’s.
    I thought Apple is best for graphic purposes, but I suggest people not to buy Apple anymore, especially when they use Sigma Cameras.
    I’ve always thought Apple would make Aperture and iPhoto compatible for x3f. So I’ve sold people Sigma. Many of them use Mac for years. They are disappointed because of the ignorant arrogant attitude of Apple.

Apple isn’t my favorite computer anymore! Shame, shame shame…