Jeannette & Magnus. Part 3 – Together

This is the third and final part in the series about Jeannette & Magnus. We have covered the preparations for the bride in two sets (Hair and Face) and here, finally we put the Groom into the picture and look at him! :D

Pictures are mainly taken with Sigma 10-20, Sigma 28mm and Sigma 70mm. Camera used is SD14. This last series contains 36 photos. Processed using Lightroom and Darkroom. (read more about them here) – Assistant was Linn (Liu Dong Yun)

All pictures are linked to my flickr album. Half full size images are available there.
Jeannette & Magnus Part 3 - Together

Jeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - Together

Jeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - TogetherJeannette & Magnus Part 3 - Together

This entry was posted in 10-20, 28mm, 30mm 1.4, 70mm, Adobe Lightroom, Arcsofts Darkroom, High ISO/ASA (400+), Portraits, Sigma SD14, Wedding sessions. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Jeannette & Magnus. Part 3 – Together

1. Clive says:

Many moods, Carl, and it’s very nice that you can be as thoughtful with these two persons.

I think between you and Olga, a lot of fresh air comes in wedding photography.

Much appreciated.

Best and say hi to that Linn for me, thanks,
    Clive

2. carl says:

Thanks Clive!

So far wedding sessions has been terribly hard for me. At least before I do it. It’s like teaching for a new class. You need to get it right directly, if not then, well maybe nothing works.

I’m so so happy now, after this session that I got so nice results. I had to trash so many good ones because it was too many already. I like that situation. :)

Yeah, I like Olgas wedding sessions. We do it differently and similar at the same time.

3. spalbird says:

Some unusual pictures. I particularly like the “Just Married”, that shot with the magazine face, the couple sitting at a table in front of the house, the broom holding the street lamp (B&W), the broom before the oof bride (B&W) and the last one in this series. I miss the intimacy you have got with the 30mm at your sister’s wedding. I still have to get used to the “color alienation” effect I see first time here and before with Olgas pictures. I can imagine how relieved you feel now, after the wedding holding these shots in your hands. Congratulations!

4. Hi Spalbird! The intimacy might be a tad difficult with people you hardly know. I did know Magnus from before, we met a couple of times. But not that well, and his lovely wife was a new experience. :)

AND, you should know that we had sooo little time in the end. The last session (with them both) started an hour before actual marriage. . It’s was really really stressed (AND I had to swallow and and try not to show). And that also created some of the best pictures. The one in the sofa (on the way to my car) and down at the parking space.

When you say “color alienation” would you like to pick the onces that you’re talking about, and the ones you dislike the most. I really wanna know for future projects.

5. Ana Maria says:

MUY LINDAS TODAS…PERO LAS DE BLANCO Y NEGRO SON LAS MEJORES …TYCKER JAG! :=))
    KRAMAR/am

6. Thank you Ana Maria, I hope you didn’t miss the others. :D (Part one and two) – I agree. Black and White is always the best!

¿puedo hacer TODO EL Magnus negro y blanco?

7. spalbird says:

An idea of mine is that you know yourself what can be done better. Talking to other people helps bringing your thoughts out of your head, but in the end it was your advice. You talked about that you met Magnus several times before the wedding. I can see that in the pictures – Magnus pictures are great, he looks relaxed. His bride looks less relaxed. What you can do as a photographer is to talk to them maybe one week before, make sure that you completely understood where everything will happen, talk about the pictures you intend to take. Then prepare for the wedding day, have everything packed a day before, appear as the first, feel like you have any time in the world and if you need (I would) take some warming up shots before. If you intend to use fixed lenses have two bodies with you and an assistant who changes lenses for you. The more relaxed YOU are the more the couple will be. Consider that the couple could become 15 minutes late and plan your time that you finish 15 minutes before the wedding begins. In theory this plan could work :)

8. spalbird says:

#1, #5, #20, #24 are looking color alienated. An effect for the skye like in #5 I achieve with toning in LR. #24 is like Olgas recent work and as far I remember this happened after the availability of the SD14. One of the strengths of the Sigma Foveon based cameras is to show real colors. Maybe the SD14 is no challenge anymore because it is too perfect? As I said – I have to get used to it. Speaking for today I wonder how an album with so many styles look like. In my eyes the postprocessing destroyed some subtil details. Of the B&W photos I like #6, #8 and #25 best. Just my insignificant opinion – and please continue doing it your way – especially if you can’t agree :)

9. evge says:

B&W are all at iso 800?

10. Evge, B&W’s are not all in ISO800. Some are in ISO50! :D But I’m using other software to pretend old film types and therefore you might find noise. Created by software.

11. Cristina says:

Bellisimas.

No podia ser menos tratandose de un día tan especial.

Los felicito y como siempre les deseo lo maximo.

Besos

12. Ingrid says:

Que fotos tan bellas!

13. Hi Spalbird!!! You’re my only user who don’t appear on the sidebar with your comments. I wonder why. It treats you as an author. hmm.. :) (My comments don’t show either)

Now, back to your comments. First, thanks for your time. I Appreciate. – in the future I might be able to prepare different locations and talk to the couple about what to take and where. Today I don’t tick that way. I’m working like water. If it’s happening NOW, ideas coming NOW in the moment then picture becomes good. If it’s a setup then I never feel anything about the final shot. Also feel strapped.

I want this time to be magic. Often I do go by myself to do prepare locations the day before if it’s possible but it seldom is. In this case this wedding was far away from where I live. (320km)

About color alienation. :) I guess it’s a matter of taste and monitor. If you have a “happy” LCD then many colors pop way to much and those shots you selected would look bad. The blue sky shot was intended to look like it was shot in the 70s. The first one to have a magic feeling due to their faces. And the city shot was done in Darkroom and well.. It’s just another application and picture do looks different using it. (I did play with colors too. :)

Again. Thanks for your time. It’s fun to talk about pictures. There is always something new to learn.

14. spalbird says:

I also wondered why I don’t appear anymore on the side bar… I can understand your attitude – no long pre and post preparation phases makes you more productive, creative and enjoying :) I wonder when you will become serious and really professional … So if you don’t have time to meet people in person before show some of your crazy video clips to them. They will be relaxed with you as a photographer then, I am sure…

15. spalbird says:

I have a Eizo FlexScan L550 17″ monitor here. It is not a very expensive or terribly fine one but IMO it is much better than the cheap ones. I calibrate with a ColorVision2 pro converted tool. The calibration process is visibly better with the pro program and LCD IMO, my friend says there is no much difference with CRT calibration between the two versions.

16. spalbird says:

I like that blue-grey shadow box around my words, thats the reason that I try again :) Your program treats me kind of sub-author :D

17. Yeah, you’re a ghost in my system Spalbird. Could make a movie about you. ;) Your monitor sounds like totally fine to me. I’m using a Lacie 22″ CRT. I like the way CRT’s show and handle black and light.

See it as an art. Doing it the way I do it keeps you on the edge. I’m pretty convinced that I do get shots that I wouldn’t get if I didn’t play my game. BUT at the same time, I would probably get another type, maybe better if I did prepare more.

My next step which I’ve been thinking about a lot is doing artificial light, flash, studio on the spot kind of thing. I have a photographer friend that has a B2 (profoto) setup.. I will try it and see how well it plays with me. :)

Now I feel a bit bad. Just saw Hostel 2. Don’t feel too good. ;)

Good night world, wherever you are.

18. romy says:

eehhhh!! =D q lindas las fotos enserio!! me encanta la q dice… recien casados, esta muyyy buena!`y muy lindos los dos. Mucha suerte a los recien casadosss…

pD: ya kiero ser triple tia
    jajajajajajajja =p

19. spalbird says:

Your outstanding skill is taking very good shots of and interacting with people. There is nothing wrong with building up a studio, using artifical light extensively and spend a lot of $$$ in equipment if it is just for education. Look around the net how many studio shots are produced. Much much more than real good street photography. Don’t forget to take those pictures where you are really good. In the end the simple and unsophesticated always wins.

20. ESTELA says:

QUE FOTOS TAN LINDAS SOBRE TODO LAS DE LA PLAYA. QUEDO TODO MUY BIEN Y MUY CALIDO. MUCHA FELICIDAD UN BESOTE A LOS DOS. LA TIA.

21. Gracias por su comentario bueno Estela. ¡Soy feliz que usted tiene gusto de ellos!