The Köln Dom

Click to see in original size

The most mighty building I’ve seen must be the Köln Dom (and I have seen the great wall and the heart of Linn). A huge, enormous catholic church in the center of Köln, Germany. I went there many times during my days at Photokina and the outside was as powerful as the music was on the inside. I will go to bed now but before doing so I wanna show you this image. Please enjoy the full resolution version as well.

Short history, first stone were laid in the 13th century. Work stopped 1520 at 57m height because of no money. Work continued 1842 and was finished 1880 at 157m height. (if I remember correctly)

Lens: Sigma 30mm. Camera: Sigma SD10. Good night.

This entry was posted in 30mm 1.4, All, Sigma SD10. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Köln Dom

1. BobNL says:

You are so right Carl! Such a mighty building… Had a very powerful moment inside there.

I had to lay down for a moment…

2. Linn says:

We almost have the same pictures!

Linn

3. Bob, that is one cool picture you have there. :) I will post some more myself, but I'm on a trip for the moment and can't reach internet enough.

Linn: Yes, :D It's hard to tell which is yours and what is mine. We should have had two cameras with us. Well see if I can get you a SD1 soon. :D

4. thechebb says:

Woahhhhhh. That's impressive. So epic!
    Cheers!

5. hehe.. It was and it is! It's really worth a visit too. It's such a cool church! And I heard that the organ is the largest in the world. It's really really something different.

6. birgitte says:

Utrolig flotte bilder av Linn på t-banen (eller bussen? Eller trikken?) i Köln! Håper alt er bra med dere, si ifra om dere kommer på oslo-besøk!

b

7. Linn says:

i can see that you are very busy! :)

8. Spalbird says:

Hmmm, for sure very busy…

9. BobNL says:

yep, it's boring with Carl this busy :( Where is this guy hiding?

10. Narration says:

Yes, he has never said what he is doing ;)

C.

11. I'm sorry boys. I'm really doing something very different and I need to concentrate on that for a while. :( makes me a very sad Carl. Hopefully it brings something good in the end.

Don't forget about me.

12. Don't be sad, Carl! :oD

I don't forget about you!!!

I hope heartfully that all is going for the best for you and your job, courage! Is all going right?

My best thoughts for you and Linn!

Kind regards,

Georges

13. Narration says:

Hej, Carl,

We don't forget about you of course, and I think each of us has tried to think of 'giving you your space', ever since you first announced this work of which you don't want to speak.

As Georges very well says, though: courage!

We can guess you had to accept something to make a living, to make resources for what you are always highly aware of in life. Probably that has happened, or something much like it, for each of us — life is long ;).

It won't change any of our opinion of you or your artful life and results, I am sure of that. And I am sure the 'sun will rise again' on a day when you can turn again in your preferred and instinctive directions.

Anyway, I hope on this score that you don't punish yourself, and that you keep little intervals each day if for nothing else to visualise, to continue what you like.

As for you and Linn, I don't think you could have more sympathy for the not so simple but very rewarding travel through the forest, on roads to developing relationship there.

Best for now, and again exactly as Georges, kind regards.

Clive

14. Narration says:

Just one more thing. When mentioning about a time in a day to 'visualize', maybe I should have said, 'and maybe write down'.

Keeping a journal is something many artists have used, and many persons, no matter what their field. There is something in actually telling your own story, it seems.

The best is that deas so often appear as if we had been speaking with someone, which weren't there a moment ago before we started in with the pen…

I do it too, Carl, and not less with time.

Best again,
    Clive

15. Brian says:

Hi Carl. Just out of curiosity, what's the process you usually go through to convert from color to black and white? Thanks. :)

16. Hi Brian!

Nowadays I use Lightrooms engine to do so. It's easy to create your own black and white setup for different type of images and it's easy to adjust so that you keep numbers intact. It's sort of the same thing that you can do in Photoshop using "Channel mixer" and enter monochome mode. Quite often I make blue darker (makes sky darker and clouds brighter), I use red/yellow to bring out light from subject. But it's all dependent on the picture. I often add some vignetting so that it's black and white the old way. :)

I founds Adobe CS3 having a very nice black and white tool built in. Works great.

17. nectarine says:

I was impressed of Ur film.and it made me smile.and is kinda funny cuz Koln is my second home.Im spending there 3months each year.and I love his city.btw gr8t job.I love this pic,on the railway station when Ure playing with the textures.especially the scarf.
    anna

18. Thanks Anna! Yeah, Köln is a cool place, I like it. Especially around Photokina time (2004, 2006, 2008 etc)

What movie did you see? Spinning happiness?

19. Keep chlorpheniramineethscopolamine 12-hour bares out of the acidify of pinpoints and successfuly from pets.